Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Port Vale U18s 0 Wigan Athletic U18s 2

5 April 2015

Port Vale U18s 0 (0) v Wigan Athletic U18s 2 (1)


Port Vale: Callum Ferrie, James Gibbons, Kyle Clark, Billy Reeves, Mackenzie Faulkner, Lewis Bergin, Brad Ede, Chekaine Steele, Jonny Kapend (Tom Ashton 80 ), Dan Turner (Brian Barton 61), Omar Haughton.

Subs not used: Harry Pickering, Luke Lewis.


Vale’s final home game for the U18s finished in a 0-2 defeat and they now have 3 games on the road to complete their season. Wigan attacked from the off and a shot was soon dispatched past the post and Vale immediately responded with their own attack which saw Ede hit the side netting with an effort as he cut in from the right wing. There were only 7 minutes on the clock when the Latics took the lead as an attack down the right saw the attacker beat Clarke and cut in along the goal line before driving the ball into the 6 yard box, allowing Purzycki to tap home from close range.


 The visitors almost increased their lead a few minutes later as a ball over the top saw the Wigan No.10 win the race for the ball, but Ferrie forced him wide of the goal and a weak cross failed to reach the waiting forwards at the back the post and was headed clear. There was then a long period of play with few incidents close to goal before Bergin was required to block another shot that threatened the Vale goal and Ferrie collected the loose ball.


On the half-hour point a glancing header by Kapend slid past the far post without causing the visiting ‘keeper any major concern and the Faulkner got in a saving tackle to avert danger at the other end at the expense of a corner. The last chance of the half fell to the visitors as a cross from the right picked out their No. 9 who rose well to get in a firm header but luckily it was straight at Ferrie.


10 minutes into the second period almost saw Wigan extend their lead as a misplaced pass by Gibbons provided Wigan with a chance for a quick raid that saw Ferrie save well with his feet from the N0.10. Vale came back at Wigan but an initially promising run by Haughton through the middle petered out when he could get the ball out from under his feet. Wigan looked the more likely to score the next goal and on one attack a clearance only reached a defender at the edge of Vale’s penalty area and his shot struck the outside of the post and went out for a goal kick.


Vale substitute Barton did after a half chance after Steele had broken through a tackle but he shot well over the bar. Vale were now exerting some pressure and Barton had another shot from the edge of the area that flew just wide. The visiting ‘keeper was then booked for time-wasting after receiving his third warning in as many minutes.


With 15 minutes left Ferrie was at full stretch to push a shot around the post but was unable to do anything 2 minutes later as a cross field ball picked out Lingard who powerfully shot flew through Ferrie’s legs and into the net to put Wigan 2 up. Vale tried to get a goal back with Barton having a shot aimed inside the near post deflected for a corner and then Haughton saw a swerving shot just dip over the bar as Wigan saw out a comfortable win.


Lindon Roberts 

Port Vale Volunteers’ Group


Advertisement block