Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reserves defeated

22 August 2013

Vale go down to strong Wigan side at Norton

Port Vale 0 (0) v Wigan Athletic 2 (2)

Wednesday 21 August 2013


Port Vale Reserves: Sam Johnson, Cheyne Alexander, Ben Jefford, Doug Price,Wilson Carvalho. Dominic Dell, Jordan Hugill,Tom Morris, Ryan Lloyd, Elliot Osbourne (Ricky Swarby 60), Louis Tambini,

Subs not used:Ryan Boot, Nathan Smith, Luke Beesley.


:Wigan Athletic Lee Nicholls, Adam Buxton, Juan Carlos Garcia, Jordan Mustoe, Rob Kiernan, Danny Redmond, Nouha Dicko (Luke Ainscough 83), Fraser Fyvie, Guillermo Andres, Joey Johnson, Steven Boothman (Ryan Meadows 65).

Subs not used:Marko Marosi, Michael Wilson, Omar Thompson.


The team sheet for the Reserves’ first game at Norton included Stefan Smiljanic for Vale at No. 7, but he was not to appear as Elliot Osbourne lined up on the right wing. Smiljanic was released by Hanover at the end of last season after starting just 5 games and presumably is on trial here at Vale Park.


This week there were no first team fringe players, apart from Sam Johnson, and apart from Ryan Lloyd the team consisted of first year pros and it showed against a strong Wigan team who dominated the game quite comfortably.


minute that was saved without problem at the foot of the post and soon after Johnson was called upon to make a better save at the far end.ndVale’s main threat came in the early stages as Dell created a shooting chance in the 2


A ball then beat the visitors back line and Dell bore down on goal but his powerful 18 yard shot was straight at the ‘keeper and well held. This was followed by a good cross by Alexander that just evaded Carvalho at the back post.


Wigan then began to take control and Price was called upon to make a good block to prevent Johnson being called into action again.


Vale did create a good opportunity after 20 minutes as Alexander intercepted a pass on the edge of the Vale box and drove forward into the Latics half before hitting a ball that set Dell in on goal but he sliced his first time shot well wide.


Unsurprisingly Wigan took the lead after 28 minutes when an attack down the left saw Johnson come to challenge and the ball was squared to his name sake Joey Johnson to place the ball into the net via the thigh of a defender.


Soon after Boothman cut in from the left and his curling shot saw Vale’s ‘keeper at full stretch to push it around the post for a corner. Vale responded with Carvalho beating 3 players out wide and then finding Hugill in the middle, but he couldn’t control the ball and it ran out for a goal kick.


minute when the ball was only cleared as far as Redmond 30 yards out and although there looked little danger he chipped it exquisitely over all the defenders and Sam Johnson to nestle it in the back of the net.ndVale went further behind in the 42


The visitors almost made it 3 on the stroke of half time when a shot was partly blocked by Alexander and drifted just the wrong side of the far post.


Vale rarely made headway in the second period as Wigan controlled the game with a shot soon whistling over Vale cross bar.


The visitors Dicko saw a yellow card after 56 minutes when he had a contretemps with Jefford over a throw-in, but he was soon putting in a dangerous cross that resulted in Johnson making a save from the resulting flick at the near post.


Substitute Osbourne saw a shot hit a defender that took the majority of the sting out of the effort allowing Nicholls to collect without any problems. Wigan again looked likely to add to their tally when a long ball over the top saw Andres bear down on goal but his poor touch allowed Johnson to pick the ball off his feet.


       Soon after another ball found Andres unmarked on the edge of the box but again Johnson was able to quickly close him down and save at his feet again. Wigan then played out the game by retaining possession for the majority of the time remaining.

Match Report - Lindon Roberts

Advertisement block