Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


26 December 2012

Rotherham United v Port Vale
League Two
At the New York Stadium
Wednesday 26th December 2012

Attendance: 10,502 including 1,354 visiting supporters

ROTHERHAM UNITED: Andy Warrington, Mark Bradley, Johnny Mullins, Kari Arnason, Jack O'Connell, Ben Pringle, Jason Taylor, Michael O'Connor, Lee Frecklington, Daniel Nardiello, Alex Revell. SUBS: Scott Shearer, Ian Sharps, Kayode Odejayi, Kieran Agard, Courtney Cameron, Nicky Walker, Liam Ridehalhg

PORT VALE: Chris Neal, Richard Duffy, John McCombe, Liam Chilvers, Adam Yates, Sam Morsay, Ryan Burge, Doug Loft, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Tom Pope, Louis  Dodds. SUBS: Sam Johnson, Rob Taylor, Chris Shuker, Ben Williamson, Clayton McDonald, Calvin Andrew, Kingsley James.

Jennison Myrie-Williams returned to the side following his one-match suspension, but Ashley Vincent was forced to miss out with a stomach bug.

Adam Yates came in at left back, meaning skipper Doug Loft was free to play in midfield as Micky Adams made slight changes to the side to face a Rotherham side looking to avenge a heavy defeat suffered at Vale Park back in September.

The opening minutes of the game were fairly even, with the Vale defence standing solid and the Vale giving as good as they got.

Jennison Myrie-Williams went close at one end, just putting the ball over the crossbar, then Alex Revell hit a scorching shot into the side netting at the other end of the pitch just seconds later.

While there was plenty of action in the middle of the park, neither ‘keeper had an awful lot to do apart from deal with the occasional cross or goal kick.

Rotherham’s Michael O’Connor picked up a yellow card for a silly challenge on Sam Morsy just outside the Vale box as things began to get a little heated.

Vale won a corner when a free kick from Liam Chilvers from ten yards inside his own half flew over everybody before dipping late, forcing Warrington to touch the ball over his crossbar. 

Vale almost took the lead from the resulting flag kick. Tom Pope got up well to meet the corner kick, nodding down at the far post, but Vale had to settle for another corner.

Vale were put under pressure at the beginning of the second half with the home side piling bodies forward, but again Vale defended well, leaving Chris Neal as a virtual spectator.

GOAL: played a one-two with Tom Pope before stroking the ball inside Warrington’s left hand post to put the Valiants in front.LOUIS DODDSVale soaked it up and then began to hit back and they were rewarded after 56 minutes when

GOAL: goal of the season.nd was sent clear through the middle by Adam Yates. He kept his cool as Warrington raced off his line and coolly slotted home his 22TOM POPESeven minutes later Vale doubled their lead when

The home side looked shaken and struggled to get control of the match, despite being urged to do so by their manager, Steve Evans.

Whilst The Millers were having plenty of the ball, Vale invariably came out on top in every tackle to the annoyance of the home supporters.

minute when Calvin Andrew came off the bench to replace Louis Dodds.thVale made their first substitution of the afternoon in the 79

GOAL: slotted home gratefully from around the penalty spot.KIERAN AGARD minute when Cameron got free down the Rotherham right and put the ball into the box. Vale couldn’t clear and substitute rdThe home side pulled a goal back in the 83

minute with Rob Taylor came on to replace Jennison Myrie-Williams.thVale made a second substitution in the 86

With five minutes of stoppage time indicated by the fourth official there was still plenty for Vale to do as the home side pushed for an equaliser.

Vale held out for the three points and can now mount a push on leaders Gillingham, who earlier in the day lost at home to Barnet.

Advertisement block