Match Report | Newcastle Town 1-3 Port Vale

NTFC Chislett

The Valiants walk away with a 3-1 over local side Newcastle Town in our first friendly of the 2024/25 pre-season thanks to an opener from Lorent Tolaj and a brace from Ethan Chislett.

The first chance of the game fell to the Vale when Deklan Wynne’s deep cross was met by James Plant who saw his header saved comfortably by Joe Slinn in the Newcastle goal.

In the sixth minute, new signing Lorent Tojal took full advantage of an error from the Newcastle keeper before rolling the ball into an empty net to grab his first goal for the club.

Vale’s new forward was enjoying his first outing in white. He came close to doubling his goal tally ten minutes later when he met Ronan Curtis’ cross, but his volley was over the bar from close range. Five minutes later he came close again when he headed over following Conor Grant’s cross.

In the 22nd minute Joe Slinn was forced into his first save of the game when he palmed Ryan Loft’s venomous strike around the post.

The hosts levelled the scores in the 38th minute when Tom Jones latched onto a loose pass and saw his effort saved by Ben Amos before Nathan Barry rolled the rebound into the back of the net.

Two minutes later Vale had an opportunity to regain the lead when Funso Ojo cut the ball back to Loft but his first-time effort was over the bar.

Darren Moore changed the whole outfield at the break, but Vale’s dominance continued. Ben Garrity danced his way into the box before taking aim with his left foot but it was blocked by a last ditch tackle. Garrity met the following corner with a stooping header that was comfortable for Slinn.

Five minutes later, Vale came close again when Mitch Clark burst down the right side before crossing across the face of goal. His cross was cleared as far as Ryan Croasdale who fired over with a first-time effort.

In the 64th minute, Jayden Stockley received the ball from the left with his back to goal before turning sharply and forcing a smart save from Slinn.

In the 76th minute, Vale regained the lead when Ethan Chislett raced onto his excellent first touch before slotting past the onrushing Newcastle keeper.

Two minutes later, Vale doubled the lead when Trialist cut inside from the right and rifled a strike towards goal, Joe Slinn saved well but the rebound fell to Ethan Chislett who headed into the back of the net.

As the game came to its conclusion Vale came inches away from adding a fourth when Garrity met Clark’s through ball with a venomous strike that crashed off the inside of the post before going wide.

FIRST HALF XI:  Ben Amos, Tom Sang, Deklan Wynne, Funso Ojo, Nathan Smith, Dan Jones, Ronan Curtis, Conor Grant, Ryan Loft, Lorent Tolaj, James Plant.

SECOND HALF XI: Ben Amos, Mitch Clark, Sam Hart, Jason Lowe, Jesse Debrah, Connor Hall, Ethan Chislett, Ryan Croasdale, Jayden Stockley, Ben Garrity, Trialist C

SUBS: Aaron Davies, Andrew Buah, Baylee Dipepa, Ben Lomax, Jack Shorrock, Trialist A, Trialist B.