Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Portsmouth 2-0 Port Vale

7 October 2023

Match Reports

Match Report | Portsmouth 2-0 Port Vale

7 October 2023

It's defeat for the Valiants this afternoon at Fratton Park.

An incredible start from the Valiants saw Funso Ojo hit the post inside the first five minutes. The Belgian had plenty of time on the edge of the area to set his sights but unfortunately the ball cannoned back off the post towards the Portsmouth defence who then cleared. 

Ojo came close yet again just three minutes later when he saw an effort from 25-yards saved by Will Norris in goal. 

The hosts answered back on 11 minutes. A soft freekick was awarded against Nathan Smith 25-yards out but Jack Sparkes direct strike went well wide of Connor Ripley’s goal. 

Four minutes later Paddy Lane found himself free at the back post when a cross from the left was swung in but Lane could not direct his header goal bound as that too, went wide. 

James Plant playing in midfield almost put the Valiants ahead on 17 minutes. After cutting in from the left and leaving his man for dead, he aimed for the near post but his shot brushed the side netting. 

Poor defensive play from the hosts nearly gave us the lead on a plate. A great interception from Ethan Chislett and quick thinking to try and lob the keeper who was out of his goal but luckily for Norris, Chislett’s effort just had too much on it. 

The Valiants kept pushing for an opener, and it almost came on 34 minutes. A cracking ball from the right was met by the head of Ben Garrity but the midfielder put his header just over the bar. 

It took 53 minutes for Portsmouth’s first shot on target but it was the one chance they needed to take the lead. A deep ball from the left caused problems for the Vale defence, the ball was put back in the middle for Colby Bishop to score the opener. 

Garrity came close to equalising just two minutes later when a great ball was played to him in the area by Alfie Devine but his volley just had too much on it. 

The home side then doubled the lead with their second shot on target of the match. The ball was bobbling around in the Vale penalty area before Bobby Madley decided to blow for a penalty. It was later deemed that Kofi Balmer had handled the ball, an offence that was not seen by many inside Fratton Park. Bishop stepped up and doubled his and Portsmouth’s tally. 

Devine tried to put the Valiants back into the game on 61 minutes with a curling shot from the left but Norris dealt with the effort well as he parried it away. 

Eleven minutes later Ripley made an outstanding point-blank save to keep it at 2-0 as Sean Raggett came close to putting the game out of sight for the hosts. 

Substitute Terry Devlin almost made it three near the end of the game after he got on the end of an over-the-top ball but his shot in the area went wide of Ripley’s goal. 

Portsmouth | Will Norris, Colby Bishop, Ben Stevenson, Christian Saydee (90+1’ Kusini Yengi), Joe Morrell, Joe Rafferty, Conor Shaughnessy, Sean Raggett, Jack Sparkes, Abu Kamara (78’ Terry Devlin), Paddy Lane (67’ Gavin Whyte) 

Unused Subs | Ryan Schofield, Zak Swanson, Ryley Towler, Tino Anjorin 

Port Vale | Connor Ripley, Tom Sang (75’ Gavin Massey), Kofi Balmer, Nathan Smith, Ben Garrity, Ethan Chislett (62’ Josh Thomas), Funso Ojo (62’ James Wilson), Conor Grant (33’ Alfie Devine), Jason Lowe, Ollie Arbalster, James Plant 

Unused Subs | Jayson Leutwiler, Lewis Cass, Rhys Walters 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account