Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Port Vale 0-1 Leyton Orient

6 February 2024

Match Reports

Match Report | Port Vale 0-1 Leyton Orient

6 February 2024

Idris El Mizouni’s second-half strike proved the difference as the Valiants fell to defeat at Vale Park.

The visitors registered the first attempt on goal after seven minutes when Theo Archibald struck from 25 yards out, but his effort was collected with ease by Connor Ripley in the Valiants net.

Despite not seeing much of the ball in the early stages, the Valiants still showed signs of threat. In the 15th minute Jensen Weir produced a dazzling run before being taken down on the edge of the area, and Ethan Chislett curled the resultant free kick just over the bar.

On 23 minutes a golden opportunity was presented to Orient when Shaq Forde was released down the right wing, but his strike from a tight angle was thwarted by Ripley.

Ripley continued to be tested as the first half progressed, and on the half-hour mark produced another brilliant stop to keep the scores level as he parried away Tom James’s long-range hit.

With seven minutes to play until the interval the Valiants came close to taking the lead after constructing a fine move. The ball was won high up the pitch and Chislett found Jason Lowe in space, whose cross was met at the back post by Jack Shorrock, but he fired too high with his attempt.

We pushed hard for the lead before the break as just three minutes later James Wilson laid the ball off to Shorrock, who smashed it into the hands of Sol Brynn in the O’s goal.

Not long into the second half the Valiants carved out another opportunity in pursuit of an opener. Weir slotted Chislett in on the left-hand side of the box but our midfielder’s low shot was held onto by a diving Brynn.

One of the game’s best chances fell to Orient moments later in the 53rd minute, when El Mizouni cut the ball back to Ruel Sotririou, who thundered the ball off the crossbar before it was eventually cleared.

Sotririou remained the visitors’ most dangerous player and just four minutes later was allowed time to try and steer an effort past Ripley, but our number one denied the striker from scoring the contest’s first goal with a strong hand.

On the hour mark Orient managed to find the breakthrough. James threaded El Mizouni through one-on-one with Ripley and the O’s captain converted, tucking the ball into the bottom right-hand corner.

We tried to find a response and came closest to in the 90th minute through Chislett, after he whipped a delivery into the area which narrowly missed the head of Wilson and curled wide of Brynn’s post.

In the final minute of stoppage time, substitute Baylee Dipepa nearly grabbed the equaliser as he darted down the left wing and shotlow, but Brynn met the effort and was fortunate to see the ball loop over the crossbar and behind, saving all three points for the visitors.

Port Vale | Connor Ripley, Tom Sang (Alex Mighten ), Kacper Lopata (Dan Jones 65’), Ryan Loft, Ethan Chislett, Funso Ojo (Nathan Smith 75’), Jason Lowe, Jenson Weir, Jack Shorrock (Conor Grant 65’), Jesse Debrah (Baylee Dipepa 68’), James Wilson

Unused Subs | Jayson Leutwiler, Gavin Massey
Leyton Orient | Sol Brynn, Tom James, Dan Happe, Jordan Brown, Ruel Sotrirou (Joe Pigott 88’), Theo Archibald (Darren Pratley 79'), Brandon Cooper, George Moncur (Rob Hunt 71’), Idris El Mizouni, Shaq Forde (Ollie O’Neill 71’) , Ethan Galbraith

Unused Subs | Sam Howes, Daniel Adu-Adjei, Khayon Edwards 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account