Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 3-1 Port Vale

6 February 2021

Jake Taylor got back on the scoresheet for Vale but it wasn’t enough as Tranmere came out on top this afternoon.

A James Vaughan brace gave the home side a sixth straight win. Vale dropped down a place in the table after this defeat.

Vale were looking to build on their impressive win over Southend United last weekend but had to endure early pressure from the home team. A corner on 13 minutes caused mayhem in Scott Brown’s area as Peter Clarke directed a header towards goal which was cleared off the line as far as James Vaughan who also had his header blocked. The loose ball then found its way to Danny Lloyd who’s shot smacked the crossbar almost giving Tranmere the lead.

Tranmere came into this game eyeing up a place in the top three and their form showed after 17 minutes. Jay Spearing’s through ball found Kaiyne Woolery who put the ball past Brown to give the home team a 1-0 lead. The Valiants started to get the ball down and play after they went a goal down, Kurtis Guthrie had a header saved by Scott Davies after 20 minutes.

The home side were on course to win six in a row but Vale continued to pile on the pressure with Devante Rodney firing an effort at goal which just went over the bar with 23 minutes on the clock. The Valiants would pay for not making the most of their chances as Tranmere doubled their lead through Vaughan on the half hour mark. He was able to turn onto his right foot and fire the ball into the bottom corner from a tight angle.

Vaughan almost had a second five minutes later when he found himself free at the back of the box but his shot was smothered well by Brown who made himself big and kept the score at 2-0. That save turned into a pivotal moment of the game as on 42 minutes Jake Taylor turned Spearing inside out before blasting a shot at Davies which proved too powerful for him and the ball found the back of the net. Woolery nearly gave Tranmere their two-goal lead back in first half stoppage time but his shot went way over the bar.

The home side started the second half brightly but were denied in 48 minutes with an outstanding save by Brown to parry it away from goal. An end to end start to the second half as Cristian Montano, five minutes later, had a chance for the equaliser but was saved well by Davies. Vaughan had looked dangerous all day and on 58 minutes Tranmere made it 3-1. A shot went in on Brown who saved well but the ball dropped favourably to Vaughan who get his second of the game. The game became scrappy in the final half hour of play with both teams having spells on the ball. Tranmere held onto their 3-1 lead but Vale will now look to bounce back against Newport County at Vale Park next week.

Port Vale: Brown, Mills, Smith, Crookes, Montano, Joyce, Conlon, Taylor (Swan 74’), Worrall (Hurst 58’), Rodney, Guthrie

Tranmere Rovers: Davies, Khan, Clarke, Monthe, MacDonald, Spearing, Lewis, Feeney (O’Connor 90+4’), Lloyd (Morris 87’), Woolery, Vaughan

Advertisement block