Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth: Vale 2-2 Shrewsbury

2 October 2017

Club News

Youth: Vale 2-2 Shrewsbury

2 October 2017

Port Vale were pegged back right at the death, as they had to settle for a share of spoils against Shrewsbury Town this past weekend.

The game began as a competitive midfield battle until Vale broke the deadlock with the first real chance of the game as a right-wing cross eluded both the defender and Benns, but dropped to Wakefield, who controlled the ball with his first touch before driving a shot low just inside the post from 15 yards out.

Vale almost doubled their lead a couple of minutes later as another cross from the right, by Thomas, was deflected to the far post where it was met by Daulby who couldn’t quite get enough on the header to force it past Gregory in the visitors goal.

Vale were continuing to make the majority of the goal opportunities and after 20 minutes a dangerous ball into the area saw Daulby, Benns and 2 defenders all go for the same ball but ball was held up in the melee and eventually cleared.

Shrewsbury then gained their first opportunity as Daulby was penalised for a high boot in trying to clear the ball 25 yard out; from the free kick Crockwell was quickly down to safely collect the shot.

The visitors then had a spell where they were providing the goal threat and Ryder was called into action with a saving tackle to thwart Mwandwe as the No.9 hustled through a couple of challenges to open up a shot at goal.

A cross field ball saw The Shrews No.11 cut in on goal and shoot but Crockwell stood tall and saved with his feet to maintain the lead. Vale responded with Steele hitting the bar with a header from a corner as they went in at half time with a well deserved lead.

Early in the second period Daulby saw a header go inches the wrong side of the post but it was generally a slow start from both teams. Shrewsbury reminded Vale there was still a match to be won just after the hour mark when Mwandwe hit the bar with a looping header that fell to safety but on 65 minutes Vale had extended their lead.

Wakefield drove a low ball across the penalty area and as a defender at the far post tried to clear the ball bounced up from his foot on to his hand and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot where Benns dispatched the ball into the roof of the net.

Vale were looking comfortable at this stage and Benns put a ball across the 6 yard box where it partially cleared to Steele 20 yards out and his shot flew just over the bar.

Shrewsbury then began to putt a little pressure on the Vale defence but Crockwell made a regulation save from one shot and then watched a header go wide of the post.

With 11 minutes left Shrewsbury finally got on to the score sheet as a cross into the 6 yard box was met by substitute No. 17 who headed home. The visitors began to sense there was a chance of a point and only a terrific tackle by Thomas prevented a close range shot by an attacker.

Vale looked to kill off the game by adding a third goal and Ede had a great run up the wing that resulted in a shot by Steele being saved at the foot of the post.

On 90 minutes Green-Birch brought a great save out of Gregory as he tried to curl the ball into the far corner.

However, in the 4th minute of added on time Shrewsbury broke up the right and a cross saw a simple tap in for the equaliser with the referee saying there were 13 seconds remaining.   


Port Vale: Dequan Crockwell, Jake Thomas, Ryan Gordon-Campbell (Max Beeston 80), Matty Ward, Josh Ryder (Zac Hill 75), Finnley Jackson, Jack Grimshaw (Josh Ede 60), James Steele, Tom Daulby (Lucas Green-Birch 60), Harry Benns (Kyle Johnson 70), Jack Wakefield.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account