Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Salford City vs Port Vale

17 August 2019

Match Reports

Match Report: Salford City vs Port Vale

17 August 2019

Vale remain unbeaten in the 2019/20 season but could have had so much more if not for Salford City’s extra-time equaliser that cancelled out a late Richie Bennett goal at the Peninsula Stadium.

Vale nearly took the lead just one minute into the first ever meeting of the two sides, when Cristian Montano’s back post volley was saved by Chris Neal’s feet.

Salford’s first major chance of the game came in the 13thminute, as Scott Wiseman rolled the ball to Richie Towell from a free-kick, who flicked the ball up and volleyed just over the bar.

The half-was end-to-end with the Vale able to keep the Salford attack out, with only a handful of opportunities falling to both sides.

One such chance came in the 29thminute when Adam Crookes sent a ball into the Salford box, where David Amoo flicked a header towards Tom Pope who was just beaten to the ball by Neal.

Salford’s best chance of the half came with 10 minutes left to play, when Joey Jones sent a dangerous low-driven ball into the box where it was attacked by Adam Rooney and Mani Dieseruvwe but Scott Brown was able to react and gather the ball.

The 1,400 travelling Vale supporters were making their voices heard, and they were nearly rewarded for their support by Tom Pope in the 60thminute when his powerful downward header was just saved by Neal.

Vale came close again just a minute later with Tom Conlon heading towards goal, but his effort was blocked, and Montano had an effort saved soon after.

With 10 minutes left on the clock, Tom Pope was replaced by Richie Bennett and just four minutes after entering the field, Bennett opened his account for the season to make it 1-0 to the Vale.

Worrall, Amoo and Bennett broke away on a counter-attack and Worrall decided to play in Bennett who drilled the ball past Neal at his near post from a tight angle to give the Valiants a deserved lead.

Bennett nearly doubled his tally but his one on one effort was well saved by Neal to keep his side in the game.

Three minutes into added time heartbreak struck as the hosts equalised, Brown went to punch Tom Walker’s free-kick clear but Jake Beesley rose to head home and win a point for his side and deny Vale their first win of the season. 


Port Vale: Brown, Gibbons, Smith, Legge, Crookes, Conlon, Joyce, Worrall, Amoo (84' Lloyd), Montano, Pope (77' Bennett).

Unused Subs: Maddison, Evans, Burgess, Kennedy, Cullen

Salford City: Neal, Wiseman, Touray, Piergianni, Maynard (84' Beesley), Rooney (65' Gaffney), Towell, Whitehead, Dieseruvwe, Pond, Jones (68' Walker)

Unused Subs: Letheren, Jones, Smith, Doyle

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account