Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Yeovil Town 1-1 Port Vale

23 September 2017

Match Reports

REPORT: Yeovil Town 1-1 Port Vale

23 September 2017

Vale earned a point on the road against Yeovil Town, but will count themselves unlucky to not come away with all three.

Tom Pope scored his first goal since his return to Vale Park, but that was cancelled out in the second half by Otis Kahn.

The point takes Vale out of the bottom two on goal difference, as they leapt above Forest Green Rovers and Chesterfield.

The first chance of the game fell to Vale and it was a ball over the top from Antony Kay which was well controlled by Dan Turner and the striker teed it up for Tom Pope, but his effort was saved by Artur Krysiak.

There was nothing between the two sides after 18 minutes, but then a superb opportunity fell for Vale. James Gibbons was in acres of space on the right-hand-side and he played a fantastic cross into the box and it was met by David Worrall, but he couldn’t direct it on target and it went wide of the post.

The main chances kept falling to the visitors and this time it was Worrall who turned provider, as he pulled back a cross for Pope, but his header went over the bar.

However, on the 28th minute Pope wouldn’t head over for a second time, as he nodded home a superb Tyler Denton cross and found the back of the net, to make it 1-0 to Vale.

The home side just couldn’t seem to create a chance in the opening 37 minutes as again Vale were the ones knocking on the door and a Worrall shot from range went wide of the goal. 

It was almost the same combination as the goal on 42 minutes, as Denton picked out Pope in the box, but his header was saved by Krysiak and would be the last chance of the first half.

The second half got underway and it was a first opportunity for Yeovil and it was Otis Khan who tried his luck from range but it was deflected behind from Gibbons.

From the resulting corner, another shot from range went over the bar and this time it was Jake Gray who had the effort.

First shot on goal for Vale after the break came from Dan Turner as he had a snapshot, which went wide.

Vale were dealt a blow on 59 minutes when Tyler Denton picked up a knock and was forced off, as he was replaced by Lawrie Wilson.

Kelle Roos was called into action for the first time in the game on 62 minutes after he got down well to deny Olufela Olomola.

However, he was unable to prevent Yeovil getting back into the game as Otis Kahn was able to tap home from close range to draw the game level after 66 minutes.

Chances for both sides were few and far between after Yeovil equalised as both looked to get a hold of the game.

However, on 81 minutes, Vale were reduced to 10 men, as James Gibbons was shown a second yellow card.

Yeovil had a shot from range by Matthew Worthington minutes later but that was never troubling Roos.

Vale pushed to try and get a winner late on despite going down to ten men, but they were unable to create a clear cut chance to pick up the three points.



Attendance: 2,614 with 208 visiting supporters.



Yeovil Town: Artur Krysiak, Daniel Alfei (10’ Matthew Worthington), Nathan Smith, Otis Khan, Connor Smith, Jake Gray (84’ Jordan Green), Ryan Dickinson, Francois Zoko, James Bailey, Olufela Olomola (73’ Sam Surridge), Sidney Nelson.

Subs: Jonathan Maddison, Alefi Santos D’Abadia, Rhys Browne, Jordan Green, Matthew Worthington, Sam Surridge, Keston Davies


Port Vale: Kelle Roos, James Gibbons, Tom Anderson, Nathan Smith, Antony Kay, Tyler Denton (59’ Lawrie Wilson), Michael Tonge, Anthony de Freitas, David Worrall, Dan Turner (65’ Rekeil Pyke), Tom Pope (88’ Harry Middleton).

Subs: Sam Hornby, Gavin Gunning, Lawrie Wilson, Harry Middleton, Ben Whitfield, Rekeil Pyke, Tyrone Barnett.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account