Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Cheltenham Town 3-2 Port Vale

17 February 2024

Match Reports

Match Report | Cheltenham Town 3-2 Port Vale

17 February 2024

Cheltenham Town come from behind to take all three points at The Completely-Suzuki Stadium.

The first effort of the game came after eight minutes when Ethan Chislett and Connor Grant linked up well down the left before Chislett cut inside and took aim, but Curtis Davies was there to clear any danger.

Lewis Freestone met Liam Sercombe’s freekick from the right side but the Cheltenham defender's header sailed over the crossbar.

In the 15th minute, Vale had their best chance of the game so far when Nathan Smith’s header fell perfectly into the path of Ethan Chislett who had broken the offside trap, As Chislett closed in on goal his effort was well saved the onrushing Luke Southwood in the Robins goal.

Four minutes later Chislett had another great effort saved when his low effort from the edge of the box looked destined for the bottom corner. However, Southwood stuck out an outstretched arm and turned around the post to keep the scores level.

In the 22nd minute, Connor Ripley was forced into action for the first time. Sean Long’s hanging cross was met by Curtis Davies who saw his header somehow kept out by the Vale keeper who showed excellent reflexes to keep it out the back of the net.

This save proved vital as Vale took the lead just three minutes later. Conor Grant’s corner from the right was met by Nathan Smith who powered a header into the back of the net to put the Valiants ahead.

Five minutes from the break Cheltenham came close again when Lewis Freestone’s header was cleared off the line by Kacpar Lopata who was in the right place at the right time to keep Vale’s one-goal lead intact.

As we entered five minutes off added time Cheltenham levelled the scores with a well-worked free-kick in the second minute of added time. Matty Taylor played a close one-two with Tom Pett before Taylor slotted a strike into the bottom corner out of the reach of Connor Ripley.

In the second half, the hosts came close to scoring inside the first five minutes when Liam Kinsella flashed a shot past the post from outside the box. Moments later Matty Taylor then tried his luck from range but Nathan Smith deflected his effort over the crossbar.

Despite the hosts having the better of the ball in the second it was the Vale who regained the lead. Lopata’s long was ball fell to Ethan Chislett who drove into the box and fired a low effort towards goal which forced a good save from Southwood. However, the rebound was diverted into the back of the net by Cheltenham Town’s Curtis Davies from a yard out.

After going a goal down, Cheltenham rallied and hit back straight away when Jack Shepherd fired an effort on the turn into the top corner to instantly level the scores.

Four minutes later the hosts completed the comeback when Will Ferry cut inside from the left and was able to slot home from close range

In the 92nd minute Jason Lowe found Ethan Chislett with an exquisite through ball, Chislett’s cross from the byline was deep and was just cleared at the back post by the Cheltenham defence who were hanging on for their lives.


Cheltenham Town| Luke Southwood, Sean Long ©, Lewis Freestone, Liam Kinsella, Liam Sercombe (Elliot Bonds 74’), Matty Taylor (Aidan Keena 74’), Jack Shepard, Will Ferry, George Lloyd (Joe Nuttall 90+5), Curtis Davies, Tom Pett

SUBS: Jamie Partington, Josh Harrop, Jordan Thomas, Greg Sloggett

Port Vale | Connor Ripley, Dan Jones (Rhys Walters 86’), Kacper Lopota, Nathan Smith ©, Ryan Loft, Ethan Chislett, Funso Ojo (Jensen Weir 66’), Connor Grant (Alex Mighten 81’), Jason Lowe, Gavin Massey, James Wilson (Baylee Dipepa 65’)

SUBS: Tom Sang, Jayson Leutwiler, Jesse Debrah

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account