Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Port Vale 2-2 Cheltenham Town

3 September 2022

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Port Vale 2-2 Cheltenham Town

3 September 2022

Charlie Brown scored in stoppage time to earn Cheltenham Town a point at Vale Park, despite Vale’s brilliant first half turnaround.

Brown netted a scrappy goal to snatch a point for the visitors after Mipo Odubeko and an own goal had seen the Valiants overturn Dan Nlundulu’s opening goal.

24 minutes in, the visitors took the lead, after Nlundulu’s touch off a James Olayinka pass allowed him to break free from the Vale defence before slotting it calmly past Jack Stevens.

Just over 10 minutes later, the Valiants hit back through Odubeko, the striker found space in the box to head home from a brilliant David Worrall cross, despite the best efforts of Luke Southwood to stop it.

Just like in the Fleetwood Town game, Vale turned it around moments later, with Taylor Perry deflecting Will Forrester’s cross goal header towards goal, and then in an attempt to clear it, he smashed it into the roof of the net.

However, the visitors netted a scruffy goal in additional time to claim a point late on, when Brown managed to bundle the ball home.

The match saw a return to action for Vale’s superstar striker James Wilson, with our number nine coming on for the final 10 minutes, replacing Odubeko.

The Robins’ first goal scorer also had the first clear chance of the game when the ball fell at his feet, but his half-volley was smashed wide of the post.

Moments before the first goal of the game, Odubeko came close for the home side when his shot from the edge of the box just drifted wide of the post.

Odubeko just couldn’t keep out of the action in the first half, coming close when he smashed an effort down the throat of Southwood.

Seconds later, the ball fell to Ellis Harrison after Cheltenham couldn’t get it clear, but his effort was also well stopped by the opposition keeper.

The opening 30 minutes of the second half were quiet, but Vale sprung to life with 15 minutes to go and could have had a third through Harrison who headed on to the bar from a Dan Jones cross.

Chances then started to flow for the hosts, this time Ben Garrity did really well on the right-hand side, but with two options in the box, his cross-box pass could only find Southwood.

Only two minutes later Harrison came close once again with Garrity getting involved on the right-hand side, and then sending a cross over to our number 22, whose diving header just went wide.

At the death, Vale nearly snatched all three points, but Jones’ free header was scrambled off the line by a Robins defender.

Next up for Darrell Clarke’s Valiants is a trip to Buckinghamshire to face Wycombe Wanderers in more Sky Bet League One action.

Port Vale | Stevens, Forrester, Smith, Hall, Worrall (85' Massey), Pett (85' Charsley), Ojo, Benning (68' Jones), Garrity, Harrison, Odubeko (81' Wilson)

Unused Subs | Stone, Cass, Butterworth

Cheltenham Town | Southwood, Long, Taylor, Freestone, Lloyd (71' Norton), Adshead (88' Brown), Olayinka (45' Broom), Williams (45' Ferry), Perry (88' Barkers), May, Nlundulu

Unused Subs | Raglan, MacDonald

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account