Skip to main content Skip to site footer

FA Youth Cup Match Report | Port Vale 3 – 1 Chesterfield

2 November 2022


FA Youth Cup Match Report | Port Vale 3 – 1 Chesterfield

2 November 2022

The Vale secure safe passage to Second Round of the FA Youth Cup with comprehensive victory against Chesterfield at Kidsgrove Athletic.

  • FA Youth Cup Match Report | Port Vale 3 – 1 Chesterfield
  • Goals from Elijah Fisher, Tommy McDermott and Festus Chale seal victory for the Vale’s Under 18s
  • Vale face Salford City in the next round after coming from behind to win following Luke Mitchell’s third-minute opener for the Spireites

Port Vale’s Under 18s secured progress to the Second Round of the FA Youth Cup with a 3-1 victory over Chesterfield on Wednesday evening at Kidsgrove Athletic’s Autonet Insurance Stadium.

The Vale trailed early on when Luke Mitchell volleyed home a wonderful effort from 25 yards, but the home side bounced back to score three goals before half-time as Elijah Fisher, Tommy McDermott and Festus Chale beat Addison Bliss in the Chesterfield goal.

Goalkeeper Reuben Perry was sent off in the second half for denying a goalscoring opportunity, though Vale managed the game well to set up a Second Round tie with Salford City.

Scott Ruscoe and Matt Done’s side had to overcome falling behind inside the first three minutes as Mitchell volleyed home from 25 yards, leaving Perry with little chance.

However, the Vale were level just after the quarter-hour mark as Fisher found space in the box and powerfully headed home a Rhys Walters corner.

The visitors had a great chance to restore their lead on the half hour mark as Alexander Duhameau broke through on goal but is denied by an excellent save from Perry.

Just four minutes after that chance, McDermott put the Vale in front as he was played in on the left before firing beyond Bliss from 25 yards.

Chesterfield responded and went close to an immediate equaliser as Archie White’s effort from distance was saved by Perry before Sam Hooper slid the follow up against the post.

However, just five minutes before the interval, the Vale doubled their lead and made it 3-1 as a well-worked set-piece saw James Plant’s initial effort saved before Chale smashed home the rebound to give the hosts control going into the second 45.

The Spireites started the second-half brightly as Sam Hooper headed wide from a Mitchell corner, Perry denied Torres and Duhameau hit the post with an effort from distance.

After managing the initial period of pressure well, the hosts went in search of a fourth as McDermott played in Plant on the right of the area, only to see his effort flash across the face of goal.

25 minutes from time, Perry was given a red card as he brought down King in a challenge adjudged to have denied a goalscoring opportunity. Substitute goalkeeper Dominic Brook was immediately called into action as the Vale looked to protect their lead.

Ruscoe and Done’s side did exactly that and secured their place in the Second Round of the FA Youth Cup, where they will face Salford City and will look to seek revenge for last season’s 3-2 defeat to the same opposition. Second Round ties must be played before 26 November.

Port Vale: Perry, A Trapiasso, Shorrock (Ryan, 72), Walters, Chale, Manhertz, C Trapasso, Mahaffy, Fisher (Brook, 68), McDermott, Plant.
Subs: Buha, Lomax, Silva Pevide, Besford, Dipepa.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account