Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Swindon Town 2-1 Port Vale

15 May 2022

Match Reports

Match Report | Swindon Town 2-1 Port Vale

15 May 2022

James Wilson's late strike halved the deficit as we go into the second-leg just a goal down

Swindon started the game well in terms of possession but it was the Valiants who had the first opportunity of the game. Ben Garrity picked up the ball in midfield with plenty of space and tried an effort from around 30-yards which went inches over the crossbar.

Swindon responded on nine minutes through Jack Payne when a loose ball dropped for the midfielder on the edge of the are but his effort went high over Aidan Stone’s bar.

Payne was at it again after 24 minutes and this time he forced a save from Stone at a tight angle before the ball was cleared away from danger.

But just two minutes later the deadlock was broken by Harry McKirdy. A Swindon corner was whipped into the front post where the forward managed to get a glancing header on the ball to send it into the net at the far post.

On 37 minutes the Valiants looked to draw level and it was Ryan Edmondson’s turn to test Lewis Ward in goal. After some great play from Connor Hall on the left hand-side, he laid the ball off to Edmondson on the edge of the area but his strike was straight at Ward.

The Robins ended the half the stronger, coming close with two shots from Jonny Williams and McKirdy. The Welshman forced a fine stop from Stone who had to tip the long-range effort over the crossbar, then McKirdy fired over from close range following that corner.

The second-half started brightly for Garrity as he was sent down the right wing by David Worrall. He tried to put a ball into the area but it was blocked by a Swindon arm. The resulting free-kick was sent in by Worrall and met by Nathan Smith but his header floated over the bar.

James Wilson came close on 51 minutes after firing a shot from outside the area on the left but the striker’s effort whistled past the far post.

Around ten minutes later, McKirdy looked to double his tally with an effort from 20-yards which curled wide of Stone’s post. But shortly afterwards the forward had his second after Payne’s effort was saved, McKirdy tapped home to double the home side’s lead.

We looked to respond straight away through substitute Jake Taylor as he found space on the left but his strike from 25-yards went wide of Ward’s goal.

The introduction of Jamie Proctor sharpened up our attacking play and on 83 minutes he was instrumental in pulling a goal back. His shot from the edge of the area deflected off numerous Swindon defenders before falling to Wilson at the back stick to prod home and halve the deficit.

Wilson came close to putting us level in stoppage time from a training ground set piece but Ward produced an outstanding save to deny our striker from the front post.

Swindon Town | Ward, Iandolo, Conroy, Baudry, Davison, Payne, McKirdy, Egbo (73’ Odimayo), Barry (90+4’ O’Brien), Williams (80’ Gladwin), Reed

Subs not used |Wollacott, Mitchell-Lawson, Aguiar, Parsons

Port Vale | Stone, Gibbons, Hall, Smith, Worrall, Garrity, Wilson, Martin (78’ Benning), Charsley (46’ Taylor), Pett, Edmondson (63’ Proctor)

Subs not used | Covolan, Robinson, Amoo, Harratt

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account