Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Young reserve side take the three points

10 March 2015

Vale reserves now just a point behind leaders Wigan Athletic

Young Vale Team Edge Home to remain in Contention for League & Cup Double

Port Vale 2 (0) v Tranmere Rovers 1 (0)

Tuesday 10 March 2015


PORT VALE:Harry Pickering, Kyle Clarke, Aziz Deen–Conteh, Billy Reeves (Chekaine Steele 59), Mackenzie Faulkner, Lewis Burgin, Enoch Andoh, Ryan Lloyd, Jonathon Kapend (Brian Barton 82), Dan Turner, Omar Haughton.

SUBS NOT USED:Callum Ferrie, James Gibbons, Taylor Attrell, Brad Ede.


TRANMERE ROVERS:Luke Pilling, Gabriel Kubwalo, Jay Hunter, Ben Jago, Evean Gumbs, Jake Hulley, Lewis Moynes (Sam Ilesanmi55), Jake Kirkby, Iain Hulme, Liam Davies (Tolani Omotola 55), Daren Askew (Joe Lamb73).

SUBS NOT USED:Patrik Rutter, Chris Shuker.


With the Vale first team squad on an away day at Cheltenham races and the need to protect bodies for two upcoming home games the Reserve team was effectively the U18s with development players and captained by Ryan Lloyd. Tranmere had fallen to the foot of the table after Morecambe had won and they also fielded a youngish side with Ian Hulme adding a touch of experience. The game as expected was watched by an ex Vale manager, no, not Micky, but Nobby Horton.


The first half was not the greatest of entertainment but what chances there were came to Vale with Turner, Haughton and Reeves all having early shots blocked or saved before Pilling came to Rovers rescue when blocking Turner in what had looked like a good penalty appeal and then saving the shot from Andoh. Andoh and Deen-Conteh were both looking sharp and Andoh went on a mazy run and his through ball just failed to put Lloyd in on goal. In the final few minutes of the first period Haughton saw a shot just palmed away by Pilling and then Kapend broke on the right but shot just wide.


stepped up and drove the kick into the corner of the net to restore parity.Lloyd minute as a missed tackle in the centre of Vale’s half allowed the 2 recent substitutes to combine to enable Omotola to side-foot home from 15 yards. Vale were only behind for % minutes as Deen-Conteh surged into the penalty area and as he headed for goal from an acute angle he was scythed down to ensure a penalty was awarded. thVale were soon pressing and a cross come shot was deflected for a Vale corner and Andoh put that on the top of the bar and out to safety. Tranmere, who had created very little until this time took the lead in the 57


The rest of the game then became end to end as both teams looked for a winner and Tranmere were unlucky when Llesanmi’s shot crashed against the far post and back across goal to enable to clear their lines. As Vale attacked from this let-off the ball arrived with Lloyd 20 yards out and his screamer of a shot was heading for the net until Pilling got his finger-tips to the ball to push it on to the bar. Tranmere again threatened and a last-ditch tackle saved Vale from going into arrears again and this was followed by Hulme shooting straight at Ferrie.


had the simple chance to put the ball into an empty net to leave Vale just a point behind Wigan, next week’s opponents, with 2 games in hand.BartonLloyd had another shooting opportunity but was off balance and his effort flew over the bar. Vale again escaped when losing the ball in the middle of their own half as the attackers shot stuck under Ferrie’s body and the danger was cleared. Houghton then had a shot saved and Andoh followed this when he brought the ball down well in a central area and cut across the edge of the penalty area but his shot was well over the bar. Vale’s substitute had as similar effect as Tranmere’s as 5 minutes after coming on he scored the winner. A long ball allowed Turner to get ahead of the visitor’s defence and he pulled the ball across the area where

Advertisement block