Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Altrincham 1 Vale 2

1 August 2015

Pre-season over and done with as Vale finish on a high

Altrincham v Port Vale

Saturday 1st August 2015

Pre-season Friendly

At the J Davidson Stadium


The sight of defender Ryan Inniss going off with an injury just ten minutes into the game must have been a worrying sight for the Vale fans amongst the crowd of 494 crowd at the J Davidson Stadium, just seven days before the new season is due to kick in.

He picked up an injury as he went in for a tackle with former Vale striker James Lawrie, and was taken off and replaced in the heart of the Vale defence by Remie Streete.

But Vale boss Rob Page was quick to allay any fears after the game, telling waiting press that Inniss was taken off as a precautionary measure, and the injury is not a serious one.

Indeed, the player himself was keen to continue and looked a bit upset at not being allowed to do so, but Rob Page’s job is to protect his players, particularly at this stage of the pre-season.

By the time the loanee from Crystal Palace went off, Vale were already a goal down following an error by goalkeeper Sam Johnson.

Johnson came off his line to clear, but unfortunately miskicked, leaving Altrincham striker Damian Reeves the simple task of slotting the ball into an empty net from the edge of the box.

Despite that slip, Vale were well in control over the Football Conference outfit and enjoyed a good workout ahead of their first League One game against Crewe next weekend.

Home ‘keeper Stuart Corburn made two or three decent saves to keep Vale at bay – the first when he clawed away a powerful header from Sam Foley which was destined for the top corner.

minute when Colin Daniel’s shot from the edge of the ox took a deflection, leaving Coburn no chance of making the save.thBut Vale were on level terms in the 28

Uche Ikpeazu will have been left cursing Coburn after rolling his marker on the edge of the box and sending a powerful drive towards the top corner, but again Vale were denied by the Altrincham ‘keeper who produced a fine save at full stretch.

minute when he turned in similar fashion, this time leaving Coburn clutching at air and Vale 2-1 up.thBut there was no denying Ikpeazue in the 39

Rob Page made four changes at the start of the second half, with the introduction of Ryan Boot, Anthony Grant, Sam Kelly and Ajay Leitch –Smith for Sam Johnson, Michael Brown, Colin Daniel and Uche Ikpeazu.

Coburn was certainly earning his corn, this time with yet another superb save to prevent Foley from netting with a curling free kick that the ‘keeper touched over his crossbar.

Vale made a further three changes on the 66 minute mark, with Enoch Andoh, Adam Yates and Ryan McGivern were given a run out in place of Byron Moore, Ben Purkiss and Carl Dickinson.

Vale continued to boss the game, though some credit must be given to the home side who defended well in numbers, whilst rarely threatening at the other end.

It was a decent enough work out ahead of next week’s encounter with Crewe at the Alexandra Stadium and depending on how any knocks and bruises go in the final week, Rob Page will probably already know his starting eleven by now.

Scott Leather, George Bowerman, Sam Heathcote, Josh O'Keefe, Anthony Griffith, Ryan CrowtherSUBS: Stuart Coburn, Shaun Densmore, Adam Griffin, Gianluca Havern, Tom Marshall, Jake Moult, Simon Richman, Jordan Sinnott, James Lawrie, Michael Rankine, Damian Reeves. ALTRINCHAM:

Ryan Boot, Adam Yates, Remie Streete, Ryan McGivern, Anthony Grant, Sam Kelly, Enoch Andoh, Ajay Leitch-Smith, Ryan Lloyd, Aziz Deen-Conteh SUBS: Sam Johnson, Ben Purkiss, Carl Dickinson, Ryan Inniss, Richard Duffy, Michael Brown, Sam Foley, Byron Moore, Louis Dodds, Uche Ikpeazu, Colin Daniel. PORT VALE:

Advertisement block