Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Port Vale U18 v Blackpool U18

20 November 2017

Match Reports

REPORT: Port Vale U18 v Blackpool U18

20 November 2017

Vale’s youth team were provided with a demonstration in clinical finishing as Blackpool provided a comprehensive defeat in this Youth Alliance League game prior to Vale’s first team defeating Barnet by a penalty goal to nil; Vale’s youth team also scored a penalty but that was the only similarity between the performances.

The early exchanges provide no hint of the final result as the first period saw positive passing movements from both teams but both lacked a cutting edge; this all changed in the 20th minute as the Vale defence was pulled to the left by a run by Sumner who then fed Dunne in the centre of the field and on the edge of the 18 yard area.

Dunne side-stepped a tackle and placed the ball into the far corner of the net to put the away team ahead.

A few minutes later and it was 0-2 as a Blackpool attack found Jaaskelainen with the ball at his feet inside the “D” and again, without hesitation, the ball was dispatched into the corner of the net.

Vale tried to respond but an effort from Steele was well wide and then they nearly went 0-3 down as two slips by Vale defenders saw Jaaskelainen through on goal, he squared the ball for Dunne who was off balance and fired well over the bar.

However the third goal did arrive in the 35th minute as Dunne fed Jaaskelainen, to score his second, as he placed the ball across Crockwell into the far corner giving the ‘keeper no chance of saving it.

The pairing of Dunne and Jaaskelainen was causing the Vale defence many problems as their interlinking play allowed them to cut through Vale’s defence on too many occasions.  


HALF-TIME: Port Vale 0 - 3 Blackpool


Vale made changes at halftime but before these could take effect Blackpool added a fourth as Jaaskelainen fed Dunne who shot into the net via the post from 10 yards out.

Vale’s changes then seemed to be working as Campbell-Green, on one of his many marauding runs up the left wing, won a free-kick that he took and saw a header on to the far post volleyed just wide by Steele.

Vale the pulled a goal back as Campbell-Gordon won a corner; from which Jackson saw a shot headed away but when it was played in once more, Jackson and Ryder were queuing up at the back post to head it home when Adarkwa arrived and sent them both sprawling resulting in a penalty that Harry Benns dispatched on the hour mark. 

After being left unable to reach the shots for the first four goals, Crockwell made a good save from Roache’s free-kick to push it around the post. But this only delayed the inevitable as substitute Sinclair-Smith held off Ryder before firing into the far corner for Blackpool’s fifth.

Blackpool’s final goal was also scored by Sinclair-Smith with 12 minutes remaining as his close range shot was partially charged down by Jackson but it only served to wrong-foot Crockwell and nestled in the back of the net. Blackpool were then able to comfortably see out the game.         


FULL-TIME: Port Vale 1 - 6 Blackpool



Port Vale: Dequan Crockwell, Max Beeston, Ryan Gordon-Campbell, Matty Ward, Josh Ryder, Zac Hill (Finnley Jackson 46), Jack Grimshaw (Jake Thomas 46), James Steele, Lucas Green-Birch, Harry Benns, Jack Wakefield (Josh Ede 46).

Subs Not Used: Kyle Johnson, Joe Berks.


Blackpool: Craig Thordarson; Ben Jacobson (Tom Williams 79), Will Avon, Winstanley; Adarkwa, Dylan Sumner (Brendan O’Brien 57), Alwyn Flynn (Lewis Wainwright 57), Sean Graham, Rowan Roache; Will Dunne (Fin Sinclair-Smith 62), Emil Jaaskelainen.

Subs Not Used: Simson

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account