Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

FA Youth Cup: Stourbridge 2 - 3 Port Vale AET

31 October 2017

Match Reports

FA Youth Cup: Stourbridge 2 - 3 Port Vale AET

31 October 2017

10-man Port Vale fight back to win in extra time.

The first action of note was in the fourth minute when Benns headed past the defender but then received a boot in the chest as he went to chase it goalwards; he went on to take the free-kick himself but failed to get enough bend to trouble the ‘keeper.

Vale went behind in the eighth minute as a ball over the top and down the left wing saw Edmonds-Hill run through to slip the ball past Crockwell to put the Glassboys ahead.

Vale got themselves back on level terms minutes later as a crossfield ball found Grimshaw on the right hand edge of the penalty area; his first time shot was parried by the ‘keeper but he was first to the loose ball, beating a defender and the ‘keeper, to blast home.

Vale controlled the play for a period without being able to find an opening. But it was Stourbridge who came closest following a 35th minute free-kick that resulted in a scramble in the box with a couple of shots being charged down before Jackson finally cleared the danger. The home team had another opportunity when Cameron squared the ball across the 6-yard line but Brigdale failed to get a touch.

In the final few minutes of the half Campbell-Gordon got in a cross but it hit Johnson’s heel and flew away from goal and then Benns had a shot that was touched just the wrong side of the post for a corner. Cameron ended the half with a drive that Crockwell dealt with comfortably. 


HALF-TIME: Stourbridge 1 - 1 Port Vale


The home team were first out of the blocks in the second half with Welch crossing low and hard to the near post where Crockwell was again on hand. With four minutes of the second half gone, Stourbridge retook the lead as a cross by Hunter into the middle looked innocuous but Evans sneaked in front of a Vale defender to crash the ball home from close range.

Vale almost responded immediately as a Chimenes cross was pushed away by the ‘keeper at full stretch and Ede played the ball back across the area where it was deflected out for a corner.

Vale were soon pushing for the equaliser again as a Benns shot was half cleared and Ede’s effort hit a defender. Hill was then unlucky to be booked as he seemed to have played the ball away but the referee saw things differently in the 53rd minute. Just after the hour mark Taylor saw a yellow card for clattering Ede for the second time in 5 minutes.

A long range effort from Brigdale was collected above his head by Crockwell. Vale made their second substitution with Berks replacing Steele who had been injured earlier in a tackle. With 20 minutes left on the clock, Crockwell was forced to tip a Timmins header over the bar after they had won a corner.

With nine minutes left Jackson also was shown a yellow card as he brought down Edmonds-Hill as he broke from his own half.  Wakefield replaced Ede with seven minutes remaining and made an immediate impact as he crashed home a shot from 20-yards when there appeared little danger.

A minute later and Vale should have had a penalty as Wakefield put in Chimenes and a defender ran across the back of him and took his legs two yards into the box but the referee waved play on.

Vale were reduced to 10 men in the third minute of added time as Hill brought down Cameron who was in full flight and saw his second yellow and the subsequent red.

Crockwell saved well from the resulting free kick and then saved well from Cameron in the last action of normal time.


FULL-TIME: Stourbridge 2 - 2 Port Vale (Extra Time to be played)


With 5 minutes of extra-time played Vale took the lead for the first time in the game as Campbell-Gordon’s long throw into the box landed at Chimenes' feet, he backed towards goal before spinning and shooting into the far corner of the net. 

The second period of extra time saw Vale defending deeply. A dipping volley from Evans flew just past Vale’s goal as they continued to defend stoutly and keep the home efforts down to long range shots, which Crockwell was dealing with comfortably.

As time ran down, the referee brought play back for a foul on a Vale player that didn’t meet with the home skipper’s approval and his comments saw a yellow card appear for Evans.

The last action saw Crockwell claim a high cross above all the attackers, including the opposition ‘keeper, as Vale await the result of Chesterfield v Notts County on Thursday evening to find out their next opponents.


FULL-TIME AET: Stourbridge 2 - 3 Port Vale



Stourbridge:Peter Hawk, Sam Taylor, Jordan Whitehouse (Ewan Hunter 46), Jake Evans, Matt Hancox, James Timmins, James Welch (James Rossiter 103), Chad Carter, Jake Brigdale, Alex Cameron, Tom Edmonds-Hill.

Subs not used: Curtis Holmes, Oliver Cooper,Brandon Sharp.


Port Vale: Dequan Crockwell, Finley Jackson, Ryan Campbell-Gordon, Matty Ward, Josh Ryder, Zak Hill, Jake Grimshaw, James Steele (Joe Berks 67), Kyle Johnson (Maxwell Chimenes 46), Harry Benns, Josh Ede (Jake Wakefield 83).

Subs not used: Mawgan Blight, Max Beeston.


Attendance 353

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account