Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Classic Encounters: Grimsby Town

23 August 2019

Club News

Classic Encounters: Grimsby Town

23 August 2019

Our third away trip of the 2019/20 season sees us travel to Blundell Park to take on Grimsby Town. A quick turnaround after Tuesday’s first win of the season against Forest Green Rovers, we look back at some of the classic matches we've played against the Mariners at Blundell Park!

League Division Two, Blundell Park, Friday 16th August 2003; Grimsby Town 1 - 2 Port Vale

Much like now, Vale were under new ownership at the start of the 2003/04 season, having recently been bought by Valiant 2001, and had won their first game of the season 2-1 at home to Bournemouth the week before.

The second league game, of what is now known as the Sky Bet League One, was an away trip to Grimsby. The Mariners were the first to score, with Michael Boulding finding the back of the net in the 39th minute, a lead they sustained until half time.  

In an exciting second-half however, Grimsby were reduced to ten men after just two minutes when Iain Anderson was sent off, and Vale sensed their opportunity.

Steve McPhee was able to find an equaliser in the 65th minute and just three minutes later, striker Billy Paynter netted the winner. Vale controlled the rest of the game and saw out the 2-1 win, which saw them move up into second.

Port Vale: Dean Delaney, Andreas Lipa, Michael Walsh, Sam Collins, George Pilkington (60’ Billy Paynter), Ryan Brown, Marc Bridge-Wilkinson, Michael Cummins (60’ Steve Rowland), Stephen Brooker, Adrian Littlejohn, Stephen McPhee.

Grimsby Town: Aidan Davison, Marcel Cas, Jason Crowe (80’ Jonny Rowan), Simon Ford, Darren Barnard, Iain Anderson, Stuart Campbell, Tony Crane, Des Hamilton, Michael Boulding (72’ Darren Mansaram), Laurens Ten Heuvel (45’ Paul Groves).

Attendance: 4,816


Coca-Cola League 2, Blundell Park, Monday 28th December 2009; Grimsby Town 1 - 2 Port Vale

Port Vale travelled to Blundell Park in December 2009 on the back of a six game unbeaten run when on the road under manager Micky Adams in the Coca-Cola League Two, now known as the Sky Bet League Two.

In a commanding first-half performance, the Vale took the lead after just seven minutes when Sean Rigg capitalised on a defensive slip by Grimsby’s Damian McCory and his volley struck the chest of goalkeeper Nick Colgan and went into the back of the net. On the stroke of half-time, Robert Taylor pounced on a goalmouth scramble to double the Valiants’ lead.

In a quieter second period Vale were able to see out the game for the win, but not without a stressful ending, as Taylor was sent off for a second yellow card with one minute left, before Anthony Griffith gave away a penalty for handball, which was converted by Barry Conlon.

The game saw Vale’s unbeaten away run increase to seven matches, whilst Grimsby saw their winless streak rise to 15 games in a season where the Mariners would go on to be relegated.

Port Vale – Chris Martin, Lee Collins, Adam Yates, Gareth Owen, Rob Taylor, Tommy Fraser, Anthony Griffith, Kris Taylor, Louis Dodds, Sean Rigg (79’ James Lawrie), Marc Richards.

Unused Subs: Joe Anyon, David Howland, Doug Loft, Luke Prosser, Simon Richman.

Grimsby Town: Nick Colgan, Rob Atkinson (46’ Joe Widdowson), Ollie Lancashire, Paul Linwood, Damien McCory, Peter Bore, Michael Leary, Peter Sweeney, Michael Coulson (72’ Ben Wright), Barry Conlon, Adam Proudlock (67’ Nathan Jarman).

Unused Subs: Leigh Overton, Mark Hudson, Nicky Featherstone, Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro.

Attendance: 4,401

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account