Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Port Vale vs Cambridge United

31 August 2019

Match Reports

Match Report: Port Vale vs Cambridge United

31 August 2019

The Valiants picked up their second win of the season in a gruelling and hard earnt 1-0 victory over Cambridge United at Vale Park thanks to some David Amoo brilliance before a Richie Bennet goal.

The Vale got off to an exciting start, bursting out the gates with three attacks in quick succession, first a David Worrall overhead-kick was saved, then Cristian Montano’s header just went over the bar before Richie Bennett dragged a shot past the far post.

The remainder of the opening 10 minutes saw more high pace action, with great defensive work by James Gibbons cutting out a Cambridge attack before Bennett had a loping header saved at the back-post.

The following 25 minutes saw end to end action with both teams battling hard at the back to prevent any clear cut opportunities on goal.

Cambridge’s first real chance came in the 26th minute when they broke away on the counter via former Valiant Luke Hannant, who crossed the ball in to Sam Smith who headed over the bar.

Vale answered back soon after as Montano delivered a ball into the box which was brought down by Bennett who set up Worrall, but his shot was comfortably saved by Dimitar Mitov.

In the 33rd minutes Amoo went down in the box after he appeared to be tripped, the referee saw no issue however, instead giving a corner.

The remainder of the half continued to see both teams working hard to prevent the other from getting any shots away with success, with Vale just about on top as the half drew to a close.

Vale nearly took the lead early in the second period as the ball was sent into the box and Cambridge’s Paul Lewis volleyed the ball just over his own crossbar and out for a corner.

With 65 minutes on the clock, young Nottingham Forest Loanee Jake Taylor came on to make his Port Vale debut, replacing Montano.  

In a gruelling second-half, neither side were able to create many attempts on goal, with one of few chances falling to Tom Conlon in the 75th minute as he hit the ball from the edge of the box but his effort was blocked.

In the 83rd minute David Amoo came up with the moment of magic required to get a breakthrough in the game, making a skilful burst through two Cambridge defenders before fizzing a powerful low cross across the face of goal.

As the ball came in Bennett was able to react and got the final touch to send the ball over the line and put Vale into a hard earned lead at Vale Park.

Former Valiant Marc Richards nearly silenced the Vale Park atmosphere as he had a free header at the back post, but directed his effort into the ground before it bounced over the bar.

 Despite some late pressure from Cambridge, John Askey’s side were able to hold out for their first clean sheet of the season and all three points.


Port Vale: Brown, Gibbons, Smith, Legge, Crookes, Conlon, Joyce, Worrall , Amoo, Montano (65’ Taylor), Bennett (88’ Pope).

Unused Subs: Maddison, Evans, Kennedy, Cullen, Archer.

Cambridge United: Mitov, Davies, Taylor, Taft, Dunk, Carruthers (63’ Roles), Lewis, O’Neil (70’ Lambe), Hannant (75’ Knibbs), Richards, Smith.

Unused Subs: Burton, Lambe, Darling, Maris, Dallas.     

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account