Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Port Vale 1-0 Reading

13 August 2023

Match Reports

Match Report | Port Vale 1-0 Reading

13 August 2023

The Valiants earned their first victory of the season with a strong second-half performance as Sky Bet League One football returned to Vale Park.

The visitors were rewarded spot-kick the 12th minute after a run from Nesta Guinness-Walker was halted by Dan Jones who the referee deemed had brought the Reading defender down inside the Vale area.

After his midweek heroics against Fleetwood Town, Connor Ripley picked up from where he left off denying Carroll from the penalty spot with a crucial save down low to his right denying an early goal for Reading.

The Valiants thought they had broken the deadlock just before the half-hour mark when Ethan Chislett’s cross into the Reading area found Alex Iacovitti who slammed home on the half volley, however the defender was deemed to be offside.

Vale continued to press for their first goal of the campaign and finished the first half as the stronger side with two attempts from Conor Grant in stoppage time, the first of which was deflected behind crucially, and from the subsequent corner his second attempt sailed over the crossbar.

Vale fans could sense a goal coming as the second half progressed, Ojo cracked an effort from distance which was spilt by Reading’s stopper but cleared away before the net could ripple. The goalscorer also missed a great chance before the breakthrough heading wide from Tom Sang’s magnificent cross.

It was Ben Garrity who scored the first goal of our campaign with a deflected strike in the 72nd minute which proved to be the winner, securing all three points for the hosts in an action-packed encounter to cap off a good week for Andy Crosby’s side.

The goal came when a scramble inside the Reading penalty box eventually resulted in the ball landing at the feet of Garrity, whose effort looped over debutant Reading goalkeeper David Button and into the net.

After Garrity broke the deadlock, it was one-way traffic as Vale hunted for a second goal for the remainder of the match and nearly created one on multiple occasions.

Brilliant play from substitute Gavin Massey on the wing saw him find James Wilson at the back post who headed the ball back across the goal with no one able to turn it into the net.

Another one of Vale’s substitutes sparked some fantastic attacking play, Mitch Clark burst down the right side into the area but fired his shot just over the crossbar.

Clark produced another dazzling run where he carried the ball from his own half before slipping through Funso Ojo whose low strike was saved onto the crossbar by Button.

The referee indicated six additional minutes at the end of the 90, a period of time which saw Vale survive after a cross from Reading looped over Ripley but stayed out due to the crossbar. Finally, Vale Park celebrated the full-time whistle and the Valiants first three points of the season.


Port Vale:

Connor Ripley, Dan Jones, Tom Sang (Mitch Clark 64’), Nathan Smith, Ben Garrity, Ethan Chislett (James Plant 64‘), Funso Ojo, Conor Grant (Gavin Massey 75’), Alex Iacovitti, Ollie Arblaster (Lewis Cass 90+3’), Josh Thomas (James Wilson 75’)

SUBS: Jayson Leutwiler, Lewis Cass, Mitch Clark, Ellis Harrison, Gavin Massey, James Plant, James Wilson

Reading: David Button, Tom Holmes, Tom McIntyre, Harvey Knibbs, Charlie Savage (Lewis Wing 67’), Andy Carroll, Femi Azeez, Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan (Caylan Vickers 57’), Andy Yiadom, Nesta Guinness-Walker (Matthew Carson 67’), Sam Hutchinson (Harlee Dean 87’),

SUBS: Coniah Boyce-Clarke, Harlee Dean, Tyler Bindon, Mamadi Camara, Lewis Wing, Caylan Vickers, Matthew Carson

Attendance: 8789 (1132 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account