Skip to main content Skip to site footer

FA Youth Cup Match Report | Port Vale 1 – 0 Salford City

8 November 2022


FA Youth Cup Match Report | Port Vale 1 – 0 Salford City

8 November 2022

Che Trapasso’s goal seals place in the Third Round of the FA Youth Cup for the Vale.

  • FA Youth Cup Match Report | Port Vale 1 – 0 Salford City
  • Che Trapasso’s first-half strike secures victory for the Vale against Salford City
  • The Vale into the Third Round for the first time since 2018/19 season

Che Trapasso’s first-half strike was enough for the Vale’s Under 18s as they edged a hard-fought contest with Salford City in the FA Youth Cup Second Round at Kidsgrove Athletic on Tuesday night.

Trapasso’s goal sends Vale into the Third Round of the competition for the first time since the 2018/19 campaign.

Scott Ruscoe and Matty Done’s side started brightly and went close to opening the scoring with just 38 seconds on the clock as Rhys Walters saw his effort saved by Aiden Lancaster in the visitors’ goal.

Vale goalkeeper Dominic Brook was then called into action just after the quarter-hour mark as he denied Alfie Henderson’s curling effort with an acrobatic save.

A minute later and Vale were back in the ascendency looking for the opener as Trapasso got in on the right of the area and saw his effort blocked before Lancaster saved Jack Shorrock’s powerful follow up.

However, just two minutes later, Trapasso did get the opener as he tapped home at the back post following excellent play on the left from 15-year-old Shorrock, who won possession and drove into the left channel before standing a cross up to the back post to give his teammate a great opportunity to score.

The visitors started the second 45 well and the Vale had to battle to regain control of the game, going close on the hour mark as Ben Lomax crossed for Trepasso, who saw his shot unfortunately deflected over by teammate Fisher.

Moments later, a Tommy McDermott free-kick almost deflected in but Lancaster made a smart save to claim the goal-bound effort.

Jacob Hamman went close for the visitors 20 minutes from time as he met a near post corner but fired over, though that was as close as Salford came, with the Vale managing the game well for the majority of the final 20 minutes.

The match was deep into seven minutes beyond the 90 when Salford won a late free-kick, though the Vale blocked bravely and managed to secure the clean sheet their battling performance merited.

Port Vale: Brook, A. Trapasso, Shorrock (Besford 90), Walters, Chale, Manhertz, C. Trapasso, Lomax (Brazier 80), Fisher (Ryan 65), McDermott, Plant.

Subs: Buah, Dipeda, Pevide, Davies.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account