Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Port Vale 1-1 Forest Green Rovers

1 February 2022

Match Reports

Match Report | Port Vale 1-1 Forest Green Rovers

1 February 2022

Ryan Edmondson scored his first goal for the Vale as both sides shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw

It was the Valiants who had the opening chance of the game in the first two minutes, as Ryan Edmondson broke through the lines on the counter attack, forcing Rovers keeper Luke McGee into a save.

Four minutes after that, the Vale found sight of goal again as David Worrall attacked the ball from a James Wilson cross.

It was Ryan Edmondson who then broke the deadlock after 11 minutes to score his first goal for Vale after an excellent delivery from a Chris Hussey corner. Moments later, his strike partner Wilson then tested keeper McGee with a powerful long-range drive which was parried away.

The Vale continued to remain aggressive on and off the ball throughout the first half preventing the visitors from testing Thomas Holy.

Hussey had the final chance nearing the end of the first half from an Edmondson cross, as Darrell Clarke’s side went into the second half with a 1-0 lead.

Rovers striker Mathew Stevens was the first to test Holy two minutes into the second half but it was saved after good work from Connor Hall one on one in the box.

The visitors grew into the game in the second 45 but the Vale remained resolute and absorbed the pressure, remaining patient without possession of the ball.

A Worrall set-piece into a dangerous area put pressure on the Rovers goal as the Valiants looked to test keeper McGee in the search of a second.

Goalscorer Edmondson was substituted for Kian Harratt after 73 minutes and his first involvement in the match was a shot on target, with the game entering its final quarter.

Harratt then broke through on the counter after a great ball from Wilson to put him one on one, but the youngster’s goal was then ruled out for offside.

The Rovers managed to get one back from forward Stevens, after he converted from a corner to make it 1-1.

Conceding the goal did not hurt spirits as the Valiants pressed on in the final ten minutes of the game.

There was five minutes of added time at the end but both sides had to eventually settle for the draw.

Port Vale: Tomas Holy, Connor Hall, Aaron Martin, Nathan Smith, David Worrall, Tom Pett (85’ Harry Charsley), Brad Walker, Chris Hussey, James Wilson (83’ David Amoo), Ryan Edmondson (71’ Kian Harratt).

Unused subs: Aidan Stone, Dan Jones, Alex Hurst, Joel Cooper.

Forest Green Rovers: Luke McGee, Udoka Goodwin-Malife, Jordan Moore-Taylor, Bailey Cargill, Kane Wilson, Regan Hendry (46’ Ebrima Adams), Ben Stevenson, Taylor Allen (66’ Kasey McAteer), Jack Aitchison (66’ Josh March), Jamille Matt, Mathew Stevens.

Unused subs: Lewis Thomas, Dominic Bernard, Daniel Sweeney, Jake Young.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account