Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Port Vale 3-2 Oldham Athletic

9 April 2022

Match Reports

Match Report | Port Vale 3-2 Oldham Athletic

9 April 2022

A brace from Jamie Proctor and a stunning strike by Brad Walker hands the Valiants the win over Oldham

Vale were looking to make it eight games unbeaten in League Two and the hosts went about it the right way, getting off to a flying start in the early seconds. Harry Charsley ran down the left flank and fired a ball across goal which had be hooked off the line by an Oldham defender.

Vale’s early pressure paid off though in the 10th minute, when Connor Hall charged down an Oldham clearance on the edge of the box which fell to the feet of Jamie Proctor inside the area. Proctor weaved his way past an oncoming defender before placing it in the far-left corner to give Vale the lead.

It was a quick response from the visitors, who levelled the scoring seven minutes later. Nicky Adams whipped a ball into the box from the right which was nodded back across goal by Hallam Hope, with Christopher Missilou stooping in from close range to head the ball in.

The Valiants ramped up the pressure following the equaliser. Mal Benning’s pass picked out Proctor, but his effort was blocked by Oldham captain Carl Piergianni. Vale continued to mount pressure on their opponents and had another good chance not long after when Brad Walker played in Ben Garrity, but Latics ‘keeper Danny Rogers came charging out to stop the Vale number eight.

Andy Crosby’s men were forced into an early change in the 29th minute, with David Worrall picking up an injury and being replaced by Ryan Edmondson.

The substitute was involved in the action straight away and played a big hand in restoring Vale’s lead in the 35th minute. Edmondson took the ball down the right-wing before crossing in for Proctor at the far post who slotted home for his second.

The visitors once again responded well and came close to levelling the score yet again two minutes later. Aiden Stone came rushing outside the penalty area to give away a freekick and picked up a yellow card for the foul. Sam Hart stepped up for Oldham and rattled the bar from the resulting freekick.

Oldham did manage to find an equaliser in added time at the end of the first half. Nicky Adams’ freekick was met by Will Sutton before Davis Keillor-Dunn poked the ball in from close range.

Vale went close to regaining their lead early in the second half, when Garrity rose to meet a corner. The midfielder’s header was inches wide though and sailed out for a goal kick.

Vale continued to create chances and finally converted one in the 52nd minute. The ball fell to Brad Walker outside the box who found space, before striking it into the bottom-right corner from 25 yards out.

John Sheridan’s side were once again pushing for a chance to draw level and almost got back on level terms in the final 10 minutes. The away side pumped balls into the box in search of a third goal, and almost got it when Adams fired a cross from the right with Keillor-Dunn lurking at the back post. The Vale defence was alert though and scrambled the ball away.

Port Vale| Stone, Martin, Hall, Smith, Worrall (Edmondson 29’(Hussey 57’)), Charsley, Walker, Benning, Garrity, Proctor, Wilson (Harratt 66’)

Subs not used | Holy, Jones, Taylor, Amoo,

Oldham| Rogers, Clarke, Piergianni, Sutton, Hart, Adams, Whelan, Luamba (Jameson 81’), Missilou, Hope (Hopcutt 67’) Keillor-Dunn

Subs not used | Leutwiler, Diarra, Hunt, Couto, Vaughan

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account