Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Salford City 1-0 Port Vale

2 March 2021

Defeat for Vale at Salford as Ian Henderson’s headed goal just before half-time won all three points for the hosts.

A decent first half performance for the Valiants with Hurst and Rodney getting plenty of touches in the area but could not force an equaliser in the second.

The hosts came into this game undefeated at home, the only team in the EFL able to boast that record. Nathan Smith had the first real chance of the game, his half volley almost gave Vale the lead but his shot smacked the post and went out for a goal kick. An early substitute for Vale with Cristian Montano being replaced by Alex Hurst who produced the Valiants first chance of the game on 18 minutes. His run into the area caused Salford problems and his pull back cross found Tom Conlon whose shot was blocked by what looked like an arm of a Salford defender, but referee Tom Nield said nothing doing.

Darrell Clarke was looking for his first win in charge after picking up points against Leyton Orient and Stevenage in earlier games. It was all Vale in the first 20 and on 23 minutes Devante Rodney got in front of goal who managed to get a shot away but it was blocked and the ball went out for a corner. Salford’s first chance of the game fell to Ian Henderson who jumped well to meet the cross who headed the ball at goal but was saved comfortably by Scott Brown.

Vale had never won away to Salford but the early pressure that Clarke’s men put the hosts under, there was a chance that could change. Salford had another chance on 36 minutes, this time it was Ash Hunter who tried his luck but his effort was well wide as it crashed into the side netting. After all of Vale’s pressure it was Salford who scored first, Henderson got his header right this time to give Brown no chance to make it 1-0 to Salford at the break.

Five minutes into the second half the hosts had the ball in the net again but it was disallowed due to handball. Limited chances after that for the majority of the second half. Hunter was creating problems for Vale’s defence all night and had a good chance to make it 2-0 but dragged his shot wide just before the game entered the final 10 minutes.

Nathan Smith had a chance on 87 minutes but his shot come cross went well wide of the far post. The game finished 1-0 to the home side as Vale were not able to create an opportunity in the final stages.

Salford City: Hladky, Touray, Lowe, Clarke, Hunter (85’ Dieseruvwe), Bernard, Turnbull, Towell, Coutts, Thomas-Asante (81’ Gotts)

Subs not used: Evans, Eastham, Andrade, Threlkeld, Wilson

Port Vale: Brown, Gibbons (37’ Brisley), Legge, Smith, Crookes, Montano (8’ Hurst), Joyce (71’ Cullen), Conlon, Whitehead (71’ Taylor), Robinson (71’ Guthrie), Rodney

Subs not used: Scott, Burgess

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account