Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Classic Encounters: Tranmere Rovers

4 February 2021

Club News

Classic Encounters: Tranmere Rovers

4 February 2021

Port Vale will be hoping to build on last weekend’s victory over Southend United, when we travel to Prenton Park to take on Tranmere Rovers on Saturday. With the game just two days away, we look back on two classic encounters played out against the Rovers.

League One, Prenton Park, Saturday 28th September 2013: Tranmere Rovers 0-1 Port Vale

Chris Lines' second-half free-kick proved to be the difference as Port Vale clinched a 1-0 win over 10-man Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park.

Lines' 56th minute effort curled into the top left-hand corner from 25 yards to give Vale a much-deserved winner after Tom Pope had missed a first-half penalty.

Liam Ridehalgh, making his debut for the home side after arriving on emergency loan from Huddersfield Town, was given a straight red on the half hour for pulling back Chris Birchall in the area.

But Owain Fon-Williams, who had already made a couple of fine saves in the opening period, dived to his left to fingertip Pope's spot-kick around the post.

The home side, who were still without a win since August, were always going to be up against it in the second period in the search for an equaliser.

Pope twice was denied by Fon Williams but Vale were nearly made to pay for not putting the game to bed when Ash Taylor headed against the bar for the home side in injury time.

Tranmere Rovers: Fon-Williams, Taylor, Dugdale, Ridehalgh, Hateley, Thompson (Goodison 33), Rowe (Power 45), Atkinson, Lowe, Stockton (Sodje 70), Akpa-Akpro.

Subs not used: Ramsbottom, Bell-Baggie, Davies, Morris.

Port Vale: Neal, Yates, Robertson, Chilvers, Dickinson, Loft, Lines, Griffith, Birchall (Myrie-Williams 74) Pope, Williamson (Hughes 82).

Subs not used: Johnson, Davis, Duffy, Dodds, Mohamed.

Att. 5,334


League One, Prenton Park, Friday 13th October 2013: Tranmere Rovers 1-2 Port Vale

Tranmere Rovers missed the chance to go top of League One as Port Vale took a decisive two-goal lead with first-half strikes from Jeff Smith and Leon Constantine.

Vale stood firm under an onslaught and went ahead through Smith's excellent angled shot in the 31st minute, before Constantine made it two on the stroke of half time with a close-range finish.

Vale keeper Mark Goodlad denied Chris Shuker and Kevin Ellison before Steve Davis set up Chris Greenacre to pull a goal back in the 57th minute.

Ellison headed wide late on and saw an injury-time shot parried by Goodlad.

Tranmere Rovers: Ward, Stockdale, McCready, Goodison, Sherriff, Shuker, McLaren, Mullin, Ellison, Greenacre, Davies.Subs Not Used: Tremarco, McAteer, Jennings, Harrison, Achterberg.

Port Vale: Goodlad, McGregor, Pilkington, Walker, Miles (Talbot 63), Sonner, Harsley, Whitaker, Moore (Sodje 39), Constantine, Smith.

Subs Not Used: Anyon, Abbey, Cardle.

Att: 7,866

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account