Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Classic Encounters: Macclesfield Town

31 December 2019

Tomorrow the Valiants will aim to keep their form going from their 2-0 win over league leaders Swindon Town as they welcome the Silkmen to Vale Park. With the first game of the new year just one day away, we look back on two classic matches that the Vale have played against Macclesfield Town.

League Two, Vale Park, Saturday 5th March 2011: Port Vale 2-1 Macclesfield Town

The Vale were enjoying a good period in the league, seeing them sat sixth in the table heading into the fixture, whilst Macclesfield were struggling down in 21st.

The Valiants opened the scoring with 28 minute on the clock when a Kris Taylor corner was headed home by Lee Collins. Marc Richards nearly doubled the lead as he shot just wide, with Vale battling to find a second goal.

Tom Pope was next to come close as he saw an effort saved by Jose Veiga before Kris Taylor hit the post with a free kick and Adam Yates saw a close range effort rattle the bar.

Chris Martin saved from Nat Brown as the Silkmen looked to pull one back, but their efforts was short lived as Vale scored again to seemingly secure all three points in the 87th minute when Louis Dodds curled home a beautiful strike from 20-yards.

Macclesfield scored a late consolation goal in extra-time when an Izak Reid cross was hooked into the net by future Vale striker Tyrone Barnett but Vale saw out the win.

Port Vale – Martin, Yates, McCombe, Collins, K.Taylor, Haldane (Griffith 76’), Morsy, Geohaghon, Loft (Dodds 74’), Pope, M.Richards

Subs not used – R.Taylor, J.Richards, Rigg, Sutton, Tomlinson

Macclesfield T – Veiga, Brown, Morgan, Diagne, Reid, Bencherif, Daniel, Bolland (Draper 67’), Hamshaw (Wedgbury 63’), Gray, Barnett

Subs not used – Cudworth, Tremarco, Beardsley, Brisley, Lowe

Att. 5,459


League Two, Vale Park, Monday 9th April 2012: Port Vale 1-0 Macclesfield Town

Vale were in desperate need of a win as they went into the fixture as they sat down in 15th in League Two, Macclesfield were in even more desperation for a victory as they were three points from safety and 18 games without a win.

The Vale started the game well and Louis Dodds nearly gave them the lead when he headed against the crossbar before Marc Richards had a shot cleared off the line. Tom Pope found the back of the net but his goal was disallowed for offside before he then headed wide from a cross by Paul Marshall.

After the break Macclesfield, managed by Brian Horton, grew into the match and Stuart Tomlinson made some good saves. In the 75th minute though the visitors were awarded a penalty when Ross Draper was fouled in the box, only for George Donnelly blazed his spot kick over the bar though.

Vale resumed their offensive push and Pope hit the post before they finally broke the deadlock just eight minutes from time when Adam Yates poked the ball home from close range to win the game.

Port Vale – Tomlinson, Yates, McCombe, McDonald, Loft, Dodds, Griffith (Morsy 76’), P.Marshall (Shuker 76’), Rigg (Williamson 79’), Richards, Pope

Subs not used – Davis, Martin

Macclesfield T – O’Donnell, Tremarco, Brown, Daniel, Draper, Mendy, M.Marshall, Wedgbury, Hamshaw (Bateson 76’), Donnelly, Smith (Mills 46’)

Sub not used – Veiga, Chalmers, Bakare

Att. 4,246

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account