Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Port Vale Reserves 1 - 1 Walsall Reserves

17 January 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Port Vale Reserves 1 - 1 Walsall Reserves

17 January 2018

Port Vale reserves continue their unbeaten streak in the league following a home draw against Walsall reserves.

The fixture saw Vale's reserve side drop their first league points of the season at home to Walsall, as they drew with the West Midlands side for the second time this season on a bitterly cold Tuesday afternoon in Burslem. 

The first action of note saw a powerful shot on the turn by Forrester crash into the side netting after the striker superbly brought down Barnett's long ball out from the back.

The first shot to really threaten either goal also came from Forrester as his shot from just outside of the box stung the ‘keeper’s fingers. Wilson was on his toes to try and stab the ball home after Ganley's parry, but the 'keeper was aware of the striker's thoughts and pounced on the loose ball.

A quick break by Walsall as the half ended was broken up by the retreating Vale defence, but the ball broke for a shot from Kouhyar that went wide of the far post.


HALF-TIME: Port Vale 0 - 0 Walsall


The Valiants made two substitutions at the start of the second half as Reeves and Wilson were replaced by Thomas and Benns.

Vale were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area after 53 minutes for a shirt pull on Calveley but Middleton’s shot cannoned off the wall and out for a corner.

Minutes later, Middleton floated a ball out wide to Calveley who had yards of space. The midfielder made his way into the box but the ‘keeper was able to smother his shot at the near post.

Vale were now controlling the game were regularly pressing the Walsall goal and Angus came close when he tried to curl a shot inside the far post but saw his effort fly agonisingly wide.

Just after the hour mark a long ball found Calveley on the right and his cross to Angus was cut out for a corner and from this Vale took the lead.

The corner was met by Forrester and his powerful header was well parried by Ganley but Barnett was on hand to blast the ball home from close range.

Walsall seemed to grow into the game following Barnett's goal and with 10 minutes to go Walsall scored an equaliser. Vale failed to cut out a ball across the edge of the box from Kouhyar which reached Hayles-Docherty on the edge of the box. The winger had two attempts and at the second time of asking, blasted the ball through a crowd of players and past Lainton.

Forrester went close in the final minute with a dipping volley when Vale broke after weathering a concerted spell of pressure, but a draw was a fair result.


FULL-TIME: Port Vale 1 - 1 Walsall



Port Vale: Lainton, Reeves (Thomas 46), Kelly, Dennis, Barnett, Regis, Calveley, Middleton, Wilson (Benns 46), Angus, Forrester

SUBS: Slinn, Ryder, Ward


Walsall: Ganley, Mason, Cockerill-Mollett (Fisher 85), Sangha, Vann, Kendrick, Hayes-Docherty, Shorrock, Peters, Candlin (Cairns 76), Kouhyar

SUBS: Bates, Leivesley, Parker

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account