Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Fixture Flashback | Mansfield Town (H)

14 March 2022


Fixture Flashback | Mansfield Town (H)

14 March 2022

We’re straight back to action tomorrow night after Saturday’s win looking to make it three home wins on the spin.

Previous games against Mansfield | DDLLD

Last home game

Sky Bet League Two, Vale Park, Saturday 8th May 2021, Port Vale 0-3 Mansfield Town

Mansfield took the lead after just ten minutes with the first chance of note in the game, when Stephen McLaughlin’s effort from 25-yards flew into the bottom corner, with Scott Brown having no chance of keeping it out.

The Stags hit the post after 13 minutes, when Jordan Bowery’s close-range header was flicked onto the outside of the woodwork, before rolling wide for a goal kick.

And the visitors were denied again five minutes later after a stunning stop from Brown denied Bowery inside the box, when the latter was through on goal in a one-on-one situation.

Stephen Quinn doubled the visitor’s advantage on the half-hour mark, after George Lapslie broke through down the right-wing, before cutting inside in the box and finding Quinn, who was on hand to despatch the ball into the back of the net.

Vale were baffled as to how they didn’t pull a goal back with ten minutes of the half remaining when Harry McKirdy’s dinked effort over Jamie Pardington was cleared off the line, before Devante Rodney’s follow up effort was also blocked and cleared away from danger.

And Alex Hurst was unlucky not to half the deficit with the last kick of the half, when his stunning strike from 30-yards rattled the top of the bar, before the ball was cleared from danger, meaning the Valiants faced a two-goal deficit at the break.

The Valiants came out re-energised at the beginning of the second-half and almost halved the deficit when Pardington parried away Hurst’s initial effort before James Clarke’s last-ditch tackle prevented Tom Conlon from having a tap-in.

Tom Pope’s powerful header from inside the box tested the palms of Pardington on the hour mark, but the goalkeeper gathered Pope’s effort well.

But with 63 minutes of the contest gone Mansfield added a third, when Stephen McLaughlin’s free-kick from the edge of the box went over the wall, and into the back of the net.

Tyrese Sinclair almost grabbed another for the visitors, when his in swinging free-kick struck the inside of the post, before being cleared away with 12 minutes of the game remaining, but with that, the game petered out as the visitors took the three points in the final game of the season.


Port Vale: Brown, Hurst (Worrall 66’), Olagunju (Whitehead 57’), Brisley, Smith, McKirdy (Swan 66’), Joyce (Robinson 66’), Burgess, Conlon, Rodney, Pope (Amoo 66’).

Unused subs: Scott, Guthrie.

Mansfield Town: Pardington, J. Clarke, McLaughlin (Charles 81’), Perch, Sweeney, Maris (Ward 81’), O. Clarke (Charsley 74’), Lapslie, Quinn (Law 51’), Sinclair, Bowery (Reid 74’).

Unused subs: Stone, Gordon.


Classic Fixture

Sky Bet League Two, Vale Park, Saturday 9th March 2019, Port Vale 2-1 Mansfield Town

Vale took just seven seconds to register their first attempt on goal as David Worrall carried the ball forward straight from kick-off, but his distant effort flew just wide. Tom Conlon saw an effort blocked inside the first minute as well as the hosts looked to put their stamp on proceedings early on.

The Valiants continued to play with real intensity following that move, and they almost profited on a lapse in concentration by the Mansfield defence on 10 minutes, only for Jordan Smith to keep Worrall’s chip out with his fingertips. 

Against the run of play, Mansfield broke away and won themselves a penalty as Leon Legge brought down Nicky Ajose inside the area after 18 minutes. The striker then stepped up to take the spot kick himself, but Scott Brown came to the rescue with a superb save to ensure the game remained level.


Midway through the first half, Vale had another chance to pull themselves ahead after the ball fell to Worrall in a dangerous position, but his curled strike dropped just wide of the far post with Smith scrambling. Conlon then tried his luck from 30 yards after stealing possession in the 27thminute, but his shot rose over the bar.

Mansfield did look more threatening in the latter stages of the first half and they won a succession of corners five minutes before the break, but Vale’s rear guard stood firm to soak up the pressure and keep the visitors at bay. 

Following the restart, both teams looked to attack and find a breakthrough, but it was Vale who got it after 50 minutes as Miller raced onto a through ball to round the goalkeeper and score.


It then got better for John Askey’s men just two minutes later as Miller doubled his tally, getting on the end of a Luke Hannant cross to slide a finish home.


That quick-fire double sparked euphoric scenes amongst the home supporters, and they were almost left celebrating a third goal just before the hour mark as Hannant closed in on goal, but his effort drifted narrowly wide from a tight angle.

It was the travelling contingent who were cheering on 61 minutes as their side reduced the deficit to just one goal. Substitute Otis Khan provided the assist with a pinpoint cross from the right, and it was Nicky Ajose who got the finishing touch with a header that nestled into the top corner.

The action didn’t stop there, and Miller was presented with a golden opportunity to complete his hat-trick on 68 minutes as he intercepted a loose pass before bearing down on goal, but he saw two efforts saved. Conlon then rocketed the rebound towards goal, but Krystian Pearce managed to block it on the line.

As the away side probed for a leveller late on, the Valiants were forced to defend as a unit, but they showed great determination and resillience to clear several balls into the box. There were a few nervy moments in there for the home supporters, but the full-time whistle was sounded and a chorus of cheers echoed around Vale Park.

Port Vale: Scott Brown, Adam Crookes, Nathan Smith, Leon Legge ©, Mitch Clark, Luke Joyce, Tom Conlon, Manny Oyeleke (Antony Kay 82’), Luke Hannant (Cristian Montano 87'), David Worrall, Ricky Miller (Ben Whitfield 81’).

Unused Substitutes: Sam Hornby, James Gibbons, Mark Harris, Kyle Howkins.

Mansfield Town: Jordan Smith, Mal Benning, Krystian Pearce, Neal Bishop, Jacob Mellis (Alex MacDonald 66’), Will Atkinson, Willem Tomlinson (Otis Khan 56’), Ryan Sweeney (Ben Turner 51’), Nicky Ajose, CJ Hamilton, Jorge Grant.

Unused Substitutes: Conrad Logan, Gethin Jones, Alistair Smith, Zayn Hakeem.



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account