Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Port Vale 1-4 Brentford

8 January 2022

Match Reports

Match Report | Port Vale 1-4 Brentford

8 January 2022

Kian Harratt scores his first senior goal on debut as the Valiants exit the Emirates FA Cup against Premier League opposition

The Valiants returned to action for the first time since early December. Brentford enjoyed the majority of possession in the first 20 minutes but were unable to break down our defence. But a 26th minute counter-attack gave the visitors the lead as Marcus Forss finished off the move with a powerful strike inside the area which beat Aidan Stone in goal.

The Bees remained the dominant side in terms of possession but were struggling to create any inroads. Vitaly Janelt was left unmarked at the back of the area when he received the ball but his effort flew over the crossbar on 35 minutes.

Darrell Clarke’s side came from a goal down to reach the third round but were almost two down on the stroke of halftime. A corner was swung in and headed into the air which Stone punched away but only as far as Yoane Wissa whose effort cannoned the underside of the crossbar.

The ball fell to Forss but he had his shot saved by Stone and at the end of the scramble, our man between the sticks hung onto the ball to keep the scores level at halftime.

The Valiants started the half much brighter despite not getting a shot off. As we threw men forward, we were caught out at the back and second-half substitute Bryan doubled Brentford’s lead five minutes after the hour mark with a solo effort.

Substitute Kian Harratt came on for his first Vale appearance after just signing on Friday and it did not take long for him to make his mark. A great run from Dennis Politic on the left who produced a cross into the middle and Harratt dived forward to brilliantly head the ball into the bottom right corner on 69 minutes.

Just two minutes later Lewis Cass almost equalised with a low curling effort outside the area aimed at the far corner but it just whistled past the post. The visitors were keen to kill our momentum with a third which Saman Ghoddos almost grabbed on 72 minutes but a great save from Stone kept the score at 2-1.

David Worrall came close to levelling the score a minute later. The ball reached the back post where Worrall was waiting but somehow his effort did not cross the line and was cleared for a corner. But against the run of play Mbuemo got his second of the game with a goal of his own making as he ran from the halfway line and slotted the ball into the corner.

Mbuemo completed his hat trick three minutes from time with a penalty which he struck straight down the middle as the Valiants’ cup run came to an end.


Port Vale | Stone, Gibbons (59’ Benning), Smith, Worrall, Garrity, Wilson (53’ Harratt), Conlon, Martin, Amoo (59’ Politic), Pett (81’ Walker), Cass

Subs not used | Covolan, Burgess, Jones, Bailey, McDermott

Brentford | Lossl, Ajer (62’ Roerslev), Bech, Pinnock, Stevens, Ghoddos (82’ Peart-Harris), Bidstrup, Janelt (71’ Baptiste), Thompson (82’ Toney), Wissa (62’ Mbuemo), Forss

Subs not used | Fernandez, Norgaard, Jansson, Young-Coombes

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account