Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Fixture Flashback | Hartlepool United (H)

26 November 2021


Fixture Flashback | Hartlepool United (H)

26 November 2021

We host Hartlepool tomorrow for the first time in five years. Let’s look back at some previous fixtures against the Pools at Vale Park.

Past five encounters with Hartlepool | DLLWW

Our last home game against the Monkey Hangers:

Emirates FA Cup, Vale Park, Sunday 4th December 2016, Port Vale 4-0 Hartlepool United

Vale booked their place in the third round of the competition with, proving to be too hot to handle for the visitors, hitting four goals in an impressive display.

An own goal by Michael Woods was sandwiched by goals from Rigino Cicilia and Alex Jones as Vale hit three in the opening forty-five minutes and a second half penalty put away by Ryan Taylor completed the scoring.

Vale made two changes for the visit of Hartlepool United in the first round of the FA Cup, each one enforced due to the suspensions of Kjell Knops and Sam Hart.

In came Rigino Cicilia from the start, along with Paulo Tavares, rested at Shrewsbury in Vale’s previous game at Shrewsbury. Kiko dropped back into the left back spot

Vale dominated the early stages of the game, without giving Pools’ ‘keeper Trevor Carson too much to do, as the visitors fought feverishly to keep the home side at bay.

That was all to change, however, when Vale struck two goals in quick succession, putting their stamp on the game with Hartlepool looking a little shell-shocked.

In the 12th minute Paulo Tavares picked up the ball down the left-hand side and cross low into the box for Rigino Cicilia at the front post. The striker controlled and side-footed home all in one movement to leave Carson in the visitors’ goal flat-footed

Two minutes later Vale doubled their lead, with the damage again done down the Vale left, when this time Kiko crossed towards the far post and with Alex Jones lurking dangerously, the ball was turned into his own net by Michael Woods

Vale continued to have plenty of the ball and were hardly troubled by the visitors, yet the League Two side kept plugging away and didn’t let their heads drop.

But on the half hour Vale increased their lead when Tavares threaded a delightful ball through for Alex Jones who controlled, made space for the shot and finished in typical style form an angle.

Vale continued to impress, playing some lovely passing football, while going in hard to win the ball when Hartlepool were in possession.

With half time approaching there was a delay in play while Bates received treatment inside the Hartlepool box, but after a few minutes the defender was able to continue.

The fourth official indicated that an extra five minutes were to be added on, and during that time Hartlepool manager Craig Hignett was sent to the stands for remarks made to the match officials.

The visitors made a double substitution in the 53rd minute when Lewis Hawkins and former Vale favourite Billy Paynter were introduced, Paynter getting a good reception from the Vale fans.

Two minutes later Vale were awarded a penalty when Nathan Smith was bundled to the ground and Ryan Taylor made no mistake, blasting home the spot kick.

Vale gave youngster James Gibbons a taste of the action when he came off the bench on the hour as a replacement for Paulo Tavares.

There was a disturbing sight for Hignett’s side when defender Rob Jones was stretchered off on 65 minutes after picking up an injury inside his own area.

There was a further change in the 71st minute when Vale took off Alex Jones and sent on winger Gezim Shalaj.

Two minutes later Shalaj cut inside dangerously, making space for a shot which ‘keeper Carson managed to get a hand to and the ball trickled inches wide of the upright.

Vale introduced a pair of fresh legs in the 82nd minute, making their third and final substitution when Sam Kelly came off to be replaced by Chris Mbamba.

Port Vale: Jak Alnwick, Ryan Taylor, Remie Streete, Kiko, Nathan Smith, Paulo Tavares, Sam Kelly, Sebastien Amoros, Anthony de Freitas, Rigino Cicilia, Alex Jones.

Subs: Miguel Santos, Calvin Mac-Intosch, Quentin Pereira, Martin Paterson, Chris Mbamba, Gezim Shalaj, James Gibbons.

Hartlepool United: Trevor Carson, Jake Carroll, Nicky Featherstone, Rob Jones, Matthew Bates, Padraig Amond, Michael Woods, Lewis Alessandra, Nicky Deverdics, Toto Nsiala, Josh Laurent.

Subs: Billy Paynter, Rhys Oates, Adam Bartlett, Lewis Hawkins, Jordan Richards, Jake Orrell, James Martin

Classic Encounter

Ben Williamson grabbed himself a ten-minute hat-trick to help Vale on their way to Capital One success over Hartlepool United at Vale Park.

It is believed to be the quickest hat-trick by a Vale player since Fred Mitcheson netted three goals in as many minutes back in 1934.

Midfielder Michael Brown netted his first goal in a Vale shirt and Tom Pope grabbed a brace as Micky Adams’ side finished up 6-2 winners, reaching the second round of the competition for the first time in four years.

Vale made two changes for the visit of Hartlepool United. Richard Duffy, who had suffered from a dead-leg and an ankle problem wasn’t risked, but took his place on the bench.

The only other change to the starting eleven was the inclusion of Chris Birchall, who came in for Louis Dodds on the Vale right.

Judging by how the visitors came out of the traps, they were in the mood for it and looked hungry for a place in round two of the competition.

But it was Vale who drew first blood with an 8th minute opener. The visitors defence opened up allowing Vale defender Ryan McGivern a clear passage towards goal and although his shot was saved, Ben Williamson was on hand to ram home the loose ball.

Vale’s lead lasted all of two minutes, however. Jonathan Franks stunned the home crowd – and Sam Johnson too – when his 30-yard effort flew into the Vale net, just inside the ‘keeper’s right-hand post.

Vale were soon back in front. Mark Marshall was allowed to dance his way through a mass of blue and white shirts before his shot was saved, but Williamson was on hand once again to find the net for his and Vale’s second with 14 minutes on the clock.

Williamson claimed his first hat-trick in a Vale shirt when he met a deep cross from the right from Chris Birchall, towering above his marker to power a downward header into the Hartlepool net in the 18th minute.

Vale rarely looked in any danger from that point on. Marshall went close to adding a fourth with a rasping effort that flew just wide of the post, and then Tom Pope couldn’t quite guide his header on target.

A rare Hartlepool attack ended with a header from Franks, who launched himself at the ball but couldn’t quite make full contact and his effort went wide.

Michael O’Connor forced a superb reaction save from Pools’ ‘keeper Scott Flinders, who threw himself to his left to palm a fierce twenty-five-yard free kick around the upright.

The ‘keeper then did well with a reaction save to deny a close-range effort from Tom Pope, with Vale threatening to run riot.

Vale made a change at the start of the second half with the introduction of Michael Brown for Michael O’Connor in the middle of the park.

The visitors had been under the cosh for a while during the opening forty-five minutes, but all credit to them, they didn’t look like they had lost belief and they took the home side on.

Sure enough, they pulled a goal back in the 59th minute. Neil Austin stepped up to put the spot kick away and give the visitors some hope after a foul on Collins by Robertson inside the box.

But two minutes later Michael Brown restored Vale’s two-goal advantage when he met a left-wing cross from Marshall with a close-range header.

Vale made their second change in the 6th minute when Steve Jennings came on as a replacement for Chris Birchall.

Eight minutes later Louis Dodds came on for Ben Williamson and within seconds he had a hand in Vale’s fifth goal, Flinders saving his low shot and Tom Pope was on hand to slam home the loose ball.

Pope headed home his second and Vale’s sixth in the 84th minute when he rose at the far post to meet a deep cross from the right by Chris Lines to nod the ball back across goal and into the net.


Port Vale: Sam Johnson, Frederic Veseli, Chris Robertson, Ryan McGivern, Carl Dickinson, Chris Lines, Michael O’Connor, Ben Williamson, Chris Lines, Tom Pope, Chris Birchall.  

Subs: Neal, Richard Duffy, Louis Dodds, Michael Brown, Steve Jennings, Adam Yates, Ryan Lloyd

Hartlepool United: Scott Flinders, Neil Austin, Matthew Bates, Sam Collins, Jonathan Franks, Bradley Walker, Tommy Miller, Michael Woods, Ryan Brobbel, Michael Duckworth, Luke James. 

Subs: Darren Holden, Marlon Harewood, Jack Compton, Lewis Hawkins, Jordan Richards, Connor Smith, Jonathan Barber  

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account