Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report - Stafford Rangers 2-0 Port Vale

9 July 2021

A young Port Vale side taste defeat in Stafford but can be proud of their efforts tonight.

The Valiants came into the game after a good workout last weekend at Kidsgrove. This Vale side was a lot more youthful than last week’s game giving an opportunity to the younger players on the outskirts of the 1st team squad as well as the under 17’s.

Vale controlled the opening five minutes playing the ball around in midfield. Stafford picked their times to attack and created a few chances early on, the closest they came in the first quarter of an hour was with Thomas Carr’s volley which looped over the bar. Six minutes later Eden Bailey attacked down the left wing and attempted a cross into the box but Benjamin Forrest blocked it well. Forrest badly injured his ankle in the process and was down for a lengthy stoppage.

It took under 18 minutes for the injured Forrest to be stretchered off after what looked a very nasty injury. Stafford made the breakthrough not long after on 37 minutes when Joshua Endall was tripped by Ellis Jones inside the area and Tyrone Ofori converted from 12 yards.

A very quiet opening 15 minutes in the second half but on the hour mark the home side doubled their lead with Ofori getting his second goal of the game. The corner was drilled towards the front post and Ofori got the slightest of touches with the outside of his boot to put it into the net.

Six substitutions for Vale on 66 minutes saw a lot more of the youth team given game time. Two minutes later and Stafford had the chance to make it 3-0 as Joseph Kenton got onto the ball just outside the area but his attempt was dragged wide of the goal. On 73 minutes Jonathon Moran had a chance to extend Stafford’s lead when he won the header from an in-swinging corner but he missed the target from close range.

Tommy McDermott came closest to putting Vale on the scoresheet on 78 minutes with an effort just outside the area but it just crept over the bar. The final chance of the game came from the penalty spot, another for Stafford after a harsh handball call. Joe Collinge in goal made himself big and watched Jake Charles’ effort fly over the roof of the stand into the car park as the game finished in a 2-0 defeat.

Stafford Rangers (1st Half): Brown, Dawes, Endall, Harvey, Forrest, O’Niell, Kapend, Tonks, Ofori, Carr, Cuff

Stafford Rangers (2nd Half): Whitehouse, Trialist, Sutton, Moran, Welsh, Kenton, Charles, Tonks, Ofori, Trialist, Cuff

Port Vale: Stone (66’ Collinge), Dyer (58’ Chibaya), Trialist, Clarke (78’ Celeany), Lennon (58’ Osman), Martin (58’ Illori), Trialist (Plant 66’), Jones (58’ McFarlane), Garrity (58’ Chale), Proctor (45’ Okenla), Bailey (58’ McDermott)

Advertisement block