Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 2-0 Port Vale

30 September 2017

Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 2-0 Port Vale

30 September 2017

It was a disappointing afternoon for Vale at the Lamex Stadium as they suffered a defeat against Stevenage in League Two.

A goal either side of the half for the hosts from Danny Newton and Jonathan Smith were enough to ensure Darren Sarll’s side would come away with all three points.

First shot on target in the game comes from Vale and it’s Tyrone Barnett who does well on the edge of the box, he turns his man and gets a shot away, but Joe Fryer gets down well and saves.

After eight minutes, Stevenage had their first chance and it came through Danny Newton, who went past one, two and then three, but his end product wasn’t good enough and it went wide of the post.

However, Kelle Roos was called into action on fifteen minutes, as Matt Godden capitalised on a Tom Anderson slip and was one on one with the Vale ‘keeper but Roos came out on top and pulled off a fantastic save to deny the striker.

Vale looked to create a clear cut chance of their own, but Barnett could only produce a snapshot from just inside the box, which he dragged wide.

Then, after 23 minutes, Stevenage were able to create a chance and it was Danny Newton who made no mistake and tucked it past Roos from just inside the box to make it 1-0 to the hosts.

27 minutes on the clock and it was a third opportunity for Vale and Barnett, as the striker ran onto a difficult high ball in the box, but his header went over the bar.

Vale looked to get that equaliser before half time, but two half chances from Tom Anderson and Anthony de Freitas were off target.

The Valinats continued to push for that goal and with 38 minutes gone, Lawrie Wilson whipped in a superb cross into the box, but no one could get on the end of it.

Pressure continued to mount, this time a David Worrall cross met the head of Tom Pope and it look destined for the top corner, but it was headed off the line and then the ball back out was hit by Worrall and it was saved by Fryer.

Boro then worked the ball up the other end and Tom Pett had some space outside the area and forced Roos into a good save

That would prove to be the last piece of action during the first half and when the teams came out for the second half, it took until the 51st minute for the first chance and it was a save from Roos which went behind for a corner.

The resulting corner produced another save from Roos but the next corner found its way to Jonathan Smith on the right hand side of the box and he curled into the top corner to make it 2-0 to Stevenage.

Vale looked for an immediate reaction and it was the best chance of the half for the visitors as Anthony de Freitas did well, played in Denton and he put a ball into the box and Tom Pope came within inches of making it 2-1.

However, a minute later, it was Boro up the other end who almost made it 3-0, Pett was played in with space to take a shot, but he fired over.

 Chris Morgan and Ned Kelly looked to change the game and made a double substitution with Marcus Harness and Dan Turner coming on for Antony Kay and Tyrone Barnett.

The home side continued to push to get that third goal and they were almost celebrating in the 67th minute, when Matt Godden met the ball on the half volley and it fizzed inches over the bar.

Turner was called into action and made an immediate impact, winning a free kick outside the box, which was shifted out wide to Marcus Harness and he put in a ball which was met by the head of Tom Anderson and he saw his effort cleared off the line.

Harness was involved again, he picked up the ball and ran towards goal, took a shot from range but it went Just wide.

Another chance for Vale came and it was Pope who continued to push and work hard and he was on the end of a Harness cross, but it was comfortably saved by Fryer.

Stevenage saw a late free-kick from around 25-yards out hit just over the bar from their fullback Joe Martin with a minute left on the clock.

Vale continued to push for a goal late on and a David Worrall shot which was deflected in the last minute was the last piece of action as the full time whistle blew.


Attendance: 2,678 with 255 visiting supporters. 



Stevenage: Fryer, Smith, Martin, Franks, Kennedy (90’ Conlon), Pett, Gorman, Newton (60’ Wootton), Vancooten, Godden (88’ Gray), Henry 

Subs: Day, Wilkinson, Whelpdale, Wootton, Conlon, Toner, Gray


Port Vale: Roos, Wilson, Denton, Anderson, Kay (65’ Turner), Pope, Worrall, Barnett (65’ Harmess), Smith, de Freitas (81’ Whitfield), Tonge

Subs: Hornby, Davis, Harness, Turner, Gibbons, Whitfield, Gunning

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account