Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Fleetwood Town vs Port Vale

30 April 2017

REPORT: Fleetwood v Vale

Another good away performance from Michael Brown’s side was sadly not enough as they couldn’t get that all important goal that would have made the difference, with results elsewhere going Vale’s way.
League One
Sunday 30th April 2017
At Highbury Stadium
Fleetwood Town v Port Vale

Michael Brown made two enforced changes to the side that won at Walsall in midweek, with Ben Purkiss replacing the injured Ryan Taylor and JJ Hooper coming in for Jerome Thomas, also injured.
Sadly a second clean sheet away from home in less than a week counted for nothing in the end and Vale will be playing League Two football in the 2017-18 season.

Vale went into the game thinking positively, but at the same time knowing that even a win against promotion contenders Fleetwood might not be enough if results went against them elsewhere.

If there were any nerves amongst the Vale ranks it certainly didn’t show on the field of play during the opening minutes, as Vale pushed the home side into their own half in a confident manner.

Vale were forced to make an early change when JJ Hooper went down injured. Despite receiving treatment on the pitch, it was quickly realised he was unable to continue, so with just 13 minutes on the clock, Sam Kelly came off the bench to replace him.

Two minutes later Fleetwood’s Cian Bolger picked up what looked like a similar injury and Nathan Pond came off the Fleetwood bench to take his place.

The game was further interrupted three minutes down the line when Bobby Grant and Danny Pugh clashed, with both players requiring treatment.

Pugh was forced off with blood streaming from his head and was to play no further part in the game – Anthony de Freitas coming on as his replacement.

Vale continued to scrap for every ball. It may not have been pretty to watch, but every player in a Vale shirt was giving their all, playing their part in a team effort.

Vale had to soak up a bit of pressure early in the second half before going close themselves following a penetrating run from de Freitas, which culminated in the ball ricocheting off Dan Turner and going inches wide of the post.

The game continued in a similar pattern to the first half, with Vale playing patiently, getting the ball forward quickly when the opportunity arose, but remaining tight at the back.

With twenty minutes remaining Fasan went down low to his left to palm away a fierce 20 yard drive from Bobby Grant, and soon afterwards Vale made a third change when Rigino Cicilia came off the bench to replace Scott Tanser, with Vale now ready to commit to attack.

Vale were certainly looking more adventurous and looked like thy may go in front when Chris Eagles burst into the box, but he was unfortunately denied when a goal looked like coming.

minute but it was ruled out for offside, giving Vale a hope there was still time to snatch something and with five minutes off added time there was still hope. Sadly that elusive goal never came.thThe home side had the ball in the net in the 90

FLEETWOOD TOWN: Matty Urwin, Cameron Brannagan, Nathan Pond, Wes Burns, Victor Nirennold, Markus Schwabl, Devante Cole.SUBS:Alex Cairns, Conor McLaughlin, Amari’I Bell, Ashley Eastham, David Ball, Bobby Grant, Cian Bolger, George Glendon, Ashley Hunter, Kyle Dempsey, Ben Davies.

PORT VALE: Denis Mehmet, Sam Kelly, Rigino Cicilia, Kiko, Anthony de Freitas, Gezim Shalaj, Andre Bikey.SUBS:Leo Fasan, Ben Purkiss, Remie Streete, JJ Hooper, Sam Foley, Danny Pugh, Dan Turner, Scott Tanser, Nathan Smith, Billy Reeves, Chris Eagles.

Advertisement block