Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Vale Reserves 3 Morecambe 1

20 September 2016

Vale victorious in their first game of the Central League Cup

Port Vale 3 (3) v Morecambe 1 (1)

Tuesday 20 September 2016


PORT VALE:Miguel Santos, Christopher Mbamba (Omar Haughton 46), Sam Hart (Mike Calveley 62), Quentin Pereira, Calvin Mac-Intosch, Luke Dennis, Gezim Shalaj (Nathan Ferguson 47), Michael Brown, Rigino Cicilia, Sam Kelly (Brian Barton 71), Kiko.



, Peter Murphy, Ntumbu Massanka, Aaron Wildig, Rhys Turner. Ben Headley 78)Dan Nizic, Aaron McGowan, James Jennings, Alex Kenyon, Robbie Jenkinson Tyler Brownsword, Luke Jordan (SUBS NOT USED:Niall Mather, .Stew Yawson, Kyle Hawley, Rhys Turner

to run on and beat the ‘keeper in a 1 on 1 to put Vale ahead.Cicilia minute as Ciocilia broke through on the left and his shot was pushed away for a corner but 4 minutes later Kelly flicked a ball through for thVale Reserves were in action in the first of their 3 League Cup Group fixtures on the Vale Park pitch and faced a Morecambe side, who had lost their opening fixture 3-1 at Wrexham, with another strong line-up. Vale’s first chance came in the 4


found space to shoot on the edge of the box and he blasted the ball home into the far corner.Pereira minute Vale extended their lead as th on the edge of the area and he turned a defender before slotting the ball home to put Vale deservedly ahead again. In the 35Kelly minute as Shalaj set up Cicilia but his shot was pushed around the post at close range. Kelly soon brought a save from Nizic with a long range shot that was dipping just under the bar and the Cilia saw another effort saved low down. However a quick breakaway by Morecambe saw a cross headed home by Murphy from Wildig’s cross with Santos caught out of position. Just after the half-hour mark Vale nearly retook the lead as a cross to the far post by Shalaj was met by Cicilia who headed past the ‘keeper but the ball came back off the far post. In the next attack the ball found thIt was nearly 2 in the 18


The first action of the second half saw Santos getting down to collect a header after a Morecambe corner. In what had become a very tight game it was 20 minutes into the half before Vale had their next chance as Cicilia beat his man on the left hand edge of the box and cut in on goal, but his shot went just the wrong side of the post. A few minutes later Morecambe went close as first Kiko cleared a dangerous situation after a cross and then Santos reacted smartly as a croos eluded everyone and was heading into the far corner.


Substitute Barton brought a save from Nizic at the foot of the near post soon after coming on. With 7 minutes remaining Cicilia broke from the middle of the park and played in Ferguson on the left and his shot cannoned out off the outside of the post. Pereira was next to threaten and his low, hard shot was well saved at the expense of a corner Vale were looking for a fourth goal to round things off and Barton saw his shot from 25 yards; this was followed by a Kiko shot being claimed at the second attempt and then Nizic saved at Barton’s feet..As the game entered added time a throw-in put in Barton but he failed to control the ball as the ‘keeper saved at his feet.

Lindon Roberts – Port Vale Volunteers Group

Advertisement block