Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reserves crash at Wigan

6 January 2016

Vale suffer heavy defeat at Robin Park

Wigan Athletic 5 (3) v Port Vale 1 (0)

Tuesday 05 January 2016

Reserves Crash at Wigan


WIGAN ATHLETIC:Owen Evans, Arnold Baxendale (Callum Lang 71), Alex Lingard (Chris Merrie 78), Adam Anson, Jack Hendry, Liam Langford (Josh Beaumont 86), Danny O’Brien, Adrian Purzycki, Sam Cosgrove, Louis Robles, James Barrigan.

SUBS NOT USED:Kelland Absalom, Matty Rimmer.

PORT VALE: Chris Neal, Aziz Deen-Conteh, Brad Ede, Mackenzie Faulkner, Ryan Inniss, Jonathan Kapend, Chekaine Steele, JJ Hooper, Achille Campion, Omar Haughton. 

SUBS NOT USED: Harry Pickering, Mike Calverley, Alex Morris, Taylor Attrell, Dan Turner.


Vale resumed their League fixtures at Robin Park against Wigan after going out of the League Cup on goal difference at the group stage due to Wigan’s 5-2 defeat at Stoke just before Xmas. The game saw the return of Ryan Inniss after his shoulder operation and also Achille Campion from his broken nose sustained during his loan at Torquay, as Vale fielded quite a strong looking team against a young Wigan XI.

minute as a Haughton corner found the head of Inniss, whose downward header bounced just the wrong side of the post. Steele then had a long range effort collected by the ‘keeper without too much danger.thVale had the best of the early play and a long clearance by Neil almost provided a chance for Hooper but he was at full stretch to try to control the ball and it ran away from him. Vale almost took the lead in the 6

minute Wigan almost increased their lead as O’Brien’s 25 yard snap shot crashed into Neil’s right hand post and away to safety.thWigan then has a chance after a corner was only partially cleared and as it was returned Robles turned to hook the ball just over the bar. After 11 minutes Vale fell behind as a cross was swung over from the right and as Neil came to collect at the far post Robles nipped in front of him, brushing aside a Vale defender, to head into an empty net. In the 17

minute to create anything on the attacking front when Campion did well to hold up the ball and keep in play before pulling it back to Hooper who curled his shot outside the far post from the right hand edge of the box. After 28 minutes Robles doubled his tally to put the hosts 2-0 up after a couple of close range shots had been blocked but as the ball stayed in the danger zone Robles reacted quickest to knock the ball home from 3 yards as a defender tried to block the ball with Neil already grounded from a dive to save a previous shot.rdVale took until the 23

minute Steele and Hooper played some one-two passes which eventually saw Hooper fire over the bar from 10 yards out and that was Vale’s last opportunity of the first half.ndFive minutes later and Wigan were awarded a penalty after a mistake by Gibbons and O’Brien stepped up to place the ball high into the corner of the net to give Neil no chance. In the 42

minute as Kapend beat his man and held off another challenge to cut up the goal line where he was taken out by the defender as the ball rolled out of play with the assistant referee indicating a goal kick, much to Mick Ede’s annoyance.thVale looked to try to get back in to the game dearly on in the second period and should have been awarded a penalty in the 50

minute as Kapend was pushed over in the area. After a discussion between Hooper and Campion it was Campion who took the spot kick which was well saved by Evans diving to his right.thInniss was clattered in the air after the ball had gone by Cosgrove who received a talking to by the referee whilst Inniss flexed his shoulder, not for the first time after a challenge. Vale did get a penalty in the 57

at the far post.Haughton minute as Campion, Hooper and Steele passed the ball around the opposition penalty area without getting a shot away and eventually Steele was closed down and the chance was gone. Vale did score after 77 minutes as a cross skimmed Hoper’s head before being swept home into the roof of the net by rd minute as a really well worked goal with a number of first time passes cut open the Vale defence to enable Purzycki to slot home inside the far post. Vale should have pulled a goal back in the 73thVale fell further behind in the 65

Wigan pushed forwards with sustained pressure and 2 crosses from the right skidded across Vale’s goalmouth with no-one able to get a touch but No.5 came with 9 minutes remaining as an O’Brien cross from the right wing was headed powerfully home by Cosgrove from 6 yards out to make it a nap hand and complete the revenge for Vale’s earlier 6-3 win at Wigan in the League Cup earlier in the season. As the final whistle approached Hooper had a chance to make it more respectable as he was put in on gaol via a poor back pass but he went too wide in getting past the ‘keeper and the chance was lost.


Lindon Roberts – Port Vale Volunteers Group

Advertisement block