Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Sky Bet League One Round-Up

6 December 2016

Five Sky Bet League One clubs have progressed to the third round of the FA Cup this weekend, whilst six more need replays to secure their places.

The FA Cup Second Round started off on Friday with only one game. Oxford United helped kick off the round against Macclesfield Town but neither team could produce a goal, meaning a replay is needed.

Saturday saw only one winning side from League One and that was Rochdale who beat Carlisle United 2-0 at Brunton Park. Dale were dominant throughout the 2-0 win as they only allowed the home side one shot on target.

Chesterfield saw the other side of the coin as they lost 5-0 to Wycombe Wanderers. A hat-trick from Scott Kashket and goals from Paul Hayes and Anthony Stewart threw the Spireites out of the competition.

Sunday saw a barrage of goals and the bulk of them came from the game between Millwall and Braintree Town. The game finished 5-2 to the team from the Den, with Harry Smith scoring a hat-trick and Shane Ferguson and Aiden O’Brien also getting on the score sheet.

It was goals galore at Vale Park as well, with Vale winning 4-0 against Hartlepool Town. Rigino Cicilia put his side ahead early before an own goal by Jake Carroll doubled that lead. Alex Jones added a third whilst Ryan Taylor converted a penalty to finish off the Monkey Hangers.

AFC Wimbledon just made it past Curzon Ashton on Sunday after pulling off a remarkable comeback. Ashton found themselves 3-0 up with just ten minutes to go but a brace from Tom Elliot and goals from Dominic Poleon and Tyron Bennett turned the game around.

In another high-scoring game, Bolton Wanderers pushed past Sheffield United to make it to the third round after beating them 3-2. Goals from Gary Madine and Sammy Ameobi, just before and after the half, and a late goal by Josh Vela gave them the win.

On the other hand, Chesterfield were walked over by League Two side Wycombe Wanderers, as they lost 5-0 at the Proact Stadium. A hat-trick from Scott Kashket and goals from Paul Hayes and Anthony Stewart threw the Spireites out of the competition.

Coventry were one of two League sides to fall short on Sunday as they were beaten 4-0 by Cambridge United. U’s Midfielder Luke Berry caused a storm throughout the game, as he managed to score all four goals.

Barrow also edged past Bristol Rovers as well on Sunday as they pulled off a 2-1 victory, after being a goal down. Bristol’s goals came just ten minutes in as Rory Gaffney converted from close range but Byron Harrison turned the result on its head as his brace saw the National League side progress to the next round.

Monday’s sole fixture saw Oldham Athletic lose out to Lincoln City on a foggy night at Sincil Bank. The Imps found themselves 3-0 up just after the half but a late surge from Oldham almost created an upset with two goals in just three minutes. The National League side held on for the remaining 15 minutes to head into the third round.

As well as these results, six League One sides require replays if they are to see the next round as Charlton Athletic drew to MK Dons, Shrewsbury Town and Fleetwood Town was goalless and Peterborough United and Notts County finished 2-2.

Advertisement block