Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Midland Youth Cup Semi-Final

24 November 2015

Vale Youth Slide Out in Semi-Final


Vale Youth Slide Out in Semi-Final

 Basford United 1 (0) v Port Vale 0 (0)

November 2015rdMonday 23


Basford United: Jake Wood, Robbie McNicholas, Myron Duffy, Ryan Oates, Jack Cairns, Jacub Tabreham, Callum Smith, Kelvin Madden, Harry Wakefield (Connor Gillan), Jack Wood, Kimarni Smith (Mackenzy Henson 68).

Subs not used: George Barker, Sulaiman Azzouz, Pierce Bird.


Port Vale: Joe Slinn , James Gibbons, Alex Morris, Mike Calverley (Luke Dennis 65), Mackenzie Faulkner, Taylor Attrell, Charlie Walford, Brad Ede, Dan Turner, Brian Barton, Tom Ashton (Mike Conlon 85).

Subs not used:Harry Pickering, Ben Fraser, Liam Mottram.


Vale U18s slid out of the last Cup competition they were involved with on a wet and windy evening in Nottingham at Basford United with an own goal knocking them out when they had dominated the game but failed to find the net. The portents were not good from the early stages as Barton broke, beat his defender but then slipped over as he tried to create a shooting chance, the ball was still in Vale’s possession but they failed to get a shot in on goal. The whole of the first 15 minutes was played in the Basford half but although Vale kept the ball they failed to create any openings. The first shot was from Ashton after 20 minutes but it was over the bar from the edge of the box.


Vale continued to press and in one incident the ball was bouncing around in the penalty area for what seemed like an eternity but no shots resulted. Turner then cut in from the left, evaded a tackle but then saw the ‘keeper dive at his feet to push the ball for a corner. On the half hour mark Barton got on the end of a ball over the top and slid it past the oncoming Wood but the ball hit the base of the post and rebounded to safety. After all this pressure it was Basford who nearly took the lead as a a free kick bounced in front of Slinn and his attempt to gather only saw him shovel the ball just over the bar. The resulting corner saw a goal-bound header cleared of the line by Ede.


Vale kept up the pressure as Turner lobbed the ‘keeper but saw the ball slide past the far post and this was followed by a Walford shot that was well over the bar. The final action of the half should have finally given Vale the lead as Walford was put in on goal by Turner but spurned a glorious opportunity by shooting past the far post.


The half began with Basford putting Vale under pressure and a needless corner was conceded; it was taken short and when the cross came in Vale had a few chances to clear but failed to do so and in the mêlée the ball ricocheted off a defender and into the net. Vale responded and Turner saw a shot well saved by the onrushing Wood and should then have equalised as a free-kick on the right was floated into the box, Faulkner rose well but his header hit the inside of the post and ran across the line where the grateful ‘keeper dived on top of it.


Basford were looking more lively this half and Smith broke but his shot lacked the power to trouble Slinn. At the other end Barton broke through but lifted his shot over both Wood and the bar. On the hour mark Basford had their luckiest escape so far as Faulkner strode forward from the half way line before unleashing a tremendous strike from fully 40 yards that crashed against the bar with the ‘keeper motionless, but the power of the shot meant it rebounded back out outside the penalty area.


minute saw Faulkner and Smith jump for the ball in the centre-circle and although there was a clash of heads it looked relatively innocuous, but Smith hit the turf and never moved. After a couple of minutes the referee sent both teams to the dressing room as it became apparent it was serious and a physio lay on the floor to hold his head immobile. An ambulance then arrived to put him on a backboard and ferry him off to hospital and the game restarted after a 30 minute delay.thThe 68


   Vale continued to push for an equaliser but resolute defending saw Turner thwarted in the process of shooting a Barton’s poor first touch allowed Wood to claim the ball at his feet. Then a cross from the left skidded through the box towards the far post where it hit Ede a couple of yards out but went straight to the ‘keeper. Barton then swept down the right flank and his low cross into the 6yard box saw Wood dive at Turner’s feet to avert another dangerous moment. With 3 minutes left Vale thought they had equalised as Faulkner powered a header home but surprisingly the referee’s assistant flag was raised to quickly dampen this moment and Basford saw out the last few minutes to reach the final.


LINDON ROBERTS – Port Vale Volunteers’ Group

Advertisement block