Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Maidenhead United v Port Vale

19 November 2015

Emirates FA Cup Match Report

Maidenhead United v Port Vale

FA Cup First Round Replay

Thursday 19th November 2015

At York Road

Attendance: 2,212 including approximately 250 visiting supporters

Vale made no mistake the second time round, setting up a second round tie with Exeter City with what, in the end, was a fairly comfortable win against the non-league minnows.

Vale had to do it the hard way, however, and there were a few fingernails being nibbled amongst the Vale following when Maidenhead skipper Alan Massey put his side ahead in the 15th minute.

Michael O’Connor levelled for the Vale before half time and two goals in eight minutes from Ajay Leitch-Smith put Vale well in command and they never looked back from then on.

Vale started well and could have taken an early lead when Sam Foley got on the end of a cross from Michael O’Connor, only to head narrowly wide.

GOAL: But it was the home side who drew first blood in the 15th minute, after Jak Alnwick dived to his left to make a save, but Vale failed to clear and when the ball fell to Magpies’ skipper Alan Massey, he made no mistake from 12 yards.

Vale continued to have the better of things in terms of possession, but they could make no headway where it mattered, in the opposition penalty area.

GOAL: Vale eventually got back into the game in the 35th minute when Sam Foley’s cross from the left was met by the head of MICHAEL O’CONNOR, who made no mistake from 6 yards.

Vale went close again with an angled drive from Sam Foley as Vale threatened to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Again, Vale were close to a second goal when a long ball from Anthony Grant was headed on by a stretching O’Connor, but Pentney in the Maidenhead goal managed to palm away under his crossbar.

GOAL: Vale were hoping for an early goal in the second half and they got it in the 49th minute when AJAY LEITCH-SMITH scrambled home to claim his second goal in two games.

GOAL: Vale extended thei r lead in the 57th minute when Louis Dodds crossed from the right to Foley, he headed it back across goal for AJAY LEITCH-SMITH to find the net with a stooping header.

Leitch-Smith went close to a hat-trick goal when Dodds let the ball run through his legs and the former Yeovil man hit a low shot, which ‘keeper Pentney saved with his foot.

Vale looked pretty much in their comfort zone from that point on, though in fairness to the home side they continued to put in a battling display.

MAIDENHEAD UNITED: Carl Pentney, Ryan Peters, Rene Steer, Ryan Upward, Alan Massey, Dean Inman, Dave Tarpey, Kieran Forbes, Jake Reid, Ben Wirght, Harry Pritchard. SUBS: Mark Nisbet, Gavin James, Andy Jenkinson, Sam Barratt, Kieron Drake, Josh Huggins, Kyran Wiltshire

PORT VALE: Jak Alnwick, Adam Yates, Ryan McGivern, Richard Duffy, Carl Dickinson, Byron Moore, Anthony Grant, Michael O’Connor, Sam Foley, Louis Dodds, Ajay Leitch-Smith. SUBS: Chris Neal, Remie Streete, Chris Birchall, Uche Ikpeazu, Colin Daniel, JJ Hooper, Sam Kelly


Advertisement block