Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report - Vale Under 18s

25 February 2015

Under 18s held at home by Carlisle United

Port Vale U18s 0 (0) v Carlisle United U18s 0 (0)

Subs not used: Harry Pickering, Taylor Attrell. Port Vale: Callum Ferrie, Kyle Clark, James Gibbons, Billy Reeves, Mackenzie Faulkner, Lewis Bergin, Luke Lewis (Brad Ede 64), Chekaine Steele, Jonny Kapend, Dan Turner, Omar Haughton (Barton 78).

Vale were looking to avenge their October home defeat by Carlisle in the League Cup with this re-arranged League game, but since that fixture Carlisle had added a new youth team coach and Carlisle were encourage on by none other than a very vociferous Vince Overson.

minute as Steele rose highest at a corner but only found the inside of the post and the ball came back to Turner hose shot whilst at full stretch went well over the bar. Within minutes Carlisle had similar luck with the woodwork as Ferrie dived low to a shot and managed to flick up onto the underside of the bar; as an attacked closed in for the rebound Ferrie turned sharply to gather the bouncing ball and avert further danger.thVale almost took the lead in the 4

The early exchanges continued with another Vale attack that saw Lewis try to chip and advancing ‘keeper out wide of the penalty area but the fast retreating defenders were pleased to see the ball drop past the far post. Halfway through the first period a long range effort from Reeves was deflected just past the post but this was the last incident of note in that first half as the game lost momentum.

Carlisle were first to threaten in the second half with the No.10 seeing Ferrie tip a good effort over the bar for a corner. Vale were quick to respond as a quick Vale break saw Bergin attempt an overhead kick that the ‘keeper collected comfortably at the near post. After 52 minutes Turner out-paced a defender who eventually brought him down from behind as he approached the penalty area. The referee decided the visitor’s No. 5 was covering and therefore only produced a yellow card; from the resulting free kick Haughton shot over the bar. Vale soon won another corner and the centre reached Bergin at the far post but his off-balance kick sent the ball high and wide.

Vale were doing most of the attacking but without looking like scoring and their frustration saw Turner booked for kicking the ball away. Turner soon put in a good cross that Kapend only just failed to get a toe to that would have resulted in a goal. With 10 minutes to go Kapend broke a challenge and advanced into the area where he looked certain to score but the ‘keeper just got enough on the effort to send it the wrong side of the post. In added time Vale should have sealed a deserved win but Steele, with just the goalie to beat slid the ball inches the wrong side of the far post.

    The good news of the afternoon was that Shrewsbury Reserves beat Walsall Reserves 2-1 in our League Cup Group which means that Vale Reserves advance to the Semi-Finals where they have a home tie against Wigan Athletic.

Lindon Roberts 

Port Vale Volunteers’ Group


Advertisement block