Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 December 2015

Vale v Sgrewsbury game finishes all square


Port Vale 2 (1) v Shrewsbury Town 2 (1)

Wednesday 02 December 2015



PORT VALE:Danny Rusling,James Gibbons, Aziz Deen-Conteh (Alex Morris 70), Brad Ede, Mackenzie Faulkner,Taylor Attrell, Mike Conlon (Brian Barton 64),Chekaine Steele, Jonny Kapend,Dan Turner,Omar Haughton.

SUBS NOT USED:Harry Pickering, Tom Ashton.

SHREWSBURY TOWN:Mark Halstead, Sam Patterson, Dominic Smith, Callum Grogan, Mat Sadler, Shaun Whalley, Darren McKnight, Matt Tootle, Jordan Clark, Liam McAlinden, Kaiman Anderson. 

SUBS NOT USED:Callum Burton (GK), Ethan Jones. 

Vale were due to play two trialists; Danny Rusling, a ‘keeper, who was a scholar at Barnsley and is currently with Maltby Main and Connor White, a full back, a former Scholar at Chesterfield, but White was withdrawn prior to kick off.

minute before Rusling could show what he was made of as he came out quickly to collect the ball at the feet of a Shrewsbury attackerstThe young Vale XI were put under early pressure and Faulkner stood out at the back with a number of tackles and interceptions before cutting out a dangerous low cross to the near post. This pressure did not result in any clear chances though and it was the 21

was on hand to steer it into the corner of the net.KapendThe visitors went close as a header from a corner just drifted past the far post, but then, just after the half-hour mark Vale took the lead against the run of play. It was by far the slickest move of the game as Steele won a challenge in the centre circle and immediately played a ball out to the left wing for Turner. He hared up the wing, beat his man and put in a low cross to the far post where

minute from a corner. Rusling made a smart, low-down, reaction save from a header but couldn’t hang on the ball and Smith was on hand to shoot home from 2 yards out. Vale had their second shot of the game in the final minute of the half but Turner saw his shot blocked.ndShrewsbury responded with a move that ended when Whalley chipped just over the bar from the edge of the box but their equalizer duly arrived in the 42

Shrewsbury continued to dominate the game after the restart and it was no surprise when they took the lead after 9 minutes as Deen-Conteh lost possession on the edge of the box and the ball was quickly moved to Whalley on the edge of the area and his first shot gave Rusling no chance. Kapend then had a cross blocked but still found Haughton who shot over. Just before the hour mark a terrific save from Rusling kept Vale in the game and the Attrell played a back pass short but luckily Anderson spurned the chance by blasting over.

on the edge of the penalty area and he swept it into the far corner to bring Vale back to parity.TurnerAt this stage Shrewsbury looked odds on to go on and win convincingly but Steele again set up a goal as he broke from midfield, avoided an attempt to bring him down before pulling the ball back to

The game was now end-to-end with both teams looking likely to get the winning goal and a Turner cross was headed out for a corner as substitute Barton waited for the opportunity to meet the cross at the far post. A Steele free-kick was deflected across the box before being headed away at the far post to avert further danger.

With five minutes left it was the visitors who threatened, but again Rusling was up the task with a full length save to push it around the post. As the final whistle approached Haughton really got hold of a shot, but it crashed against the back of a defender’s head; it then dropped to Turner who saw his shot deflected for a corner as honours finished even.


Lindon Roberts – Port Vale Volunteers Group


Advertisement block