Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

York City v Port Vale

16 March 2013

Vale back on track with all three points

Saturday 16th March 2013
York City v Port Vale
League Two

Jennison Myrie-Williams returned to the starting eleven, along with Louis Dodds and Lee Hughes, while Ben Williamson and Richard Duffy and the suspended Sam Morsy.
Rob Taylor was a late replacement for Vale when Daniel Jones withdrew in the warm-up, meaning there were three changes to the side that were betaen by Bristol Rovers in mid-week.

Chris Shuker, Calvin Andrew, Joe Davis, Ben Williamson, Ryan Lloyd, Ryan Boot SUBS:
Chris Neal, Adam Yates, Anthony Griffith, John McCombe, Louis Dodds, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Tom Pope, Liam Chilvers, Chris Birchall, Lee Hughes, Rob Taylor. PORT VALE:

Arron Jameson, Jamie Reed, David McDaid, Matty Blair, Michael Potts, Chris Doig, Patrick McLaughlin SUBS:
Michael Ingham, Chris Smith, Daniel Parslow, Scott Kerr, Jason Walker, Ashley Chambers, Josh Carson, Jamal Fyfield, Jack O'Connell, Michael Rankine, John McGrath YORK CITY:

3,945 including 1,035 visiting supporters At Bootham Crescent

Vale started the stronger of the two sides, dominating the early exchanges, but it was the home side who went closest to scoring when Neal was well positioned to collect a tame header from Chris Smith.

GOAL: staying calm inside the box to stroke an angled shot past Ingram for the opener.JENNISON MYRIE-WILLIAMSVale went straight down the other end and scored with

Vale soaked up a bit of pressure as the home side looked to hit back, but were soon on the attack again and asking questions of the home defence.

Vale had the home side camped deep inside their own half for long spells, without finding the all important final blow.

When the home side did push up they were beaten by a through ball from Louis Dodds which sent Lee Hughes clear, but the striker shot just wide of the far post.

minute when Fyfield upended Lee Hughes inside the box.thVale had a golden opportunity to double their lead in the 27

Jennison Myrie-Williams placed the ball carefully on the spot but his penalty kick was placed too close to the keeper, who went down to his left to make a comfortable save.

Chris Neal kept the scores level on the half hour, reacting smartly to fingertip a 20 yard effort from Scott Kerr over his crossbar.

Myrie-Williams went close to adding a second goal when he took on and beat Daneil Parslow before unleashing a powerful drive, which Ingham was grateful to save.

The home side started the second half brightly, but soon found themselves further behind when Vale struck with a well worked goal.

GOAL: at the far post and the striker made no mistake in front of the travelling fans behind the goal.LEE HUGHESJennison Myrie-Williams played a one-two with Tom Pope on the halfway line before sprinting down the left and picking our

Vale looked quite comfortable from that point on and it looked only a matter of time before Vale caused them further damage.

Vale’s inability to add to their score seemed to give the home side renewed confidence and they created a few half chances.

minute when he sent on Ben Williamson to replace Hughes, who had earlier been booked.thMicky Adams decided to freshen things up in the 77

Despite trailing to Vale’s two goals, the home side seemed to have their tails up and went close when Smith got up to reach a left wing corner but headed over from close range.

Calvin Andrew replaced Jennison Myrie-Williams on 86 minutes as Vale went for fresh legs in the closing minutes of the game.

Vale then made their third and final substitution in stoppage time when Chris Shuker was introduced in place of Louis Dodds.





Advertisement block