Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


23 April 2013

Reserves crash against bottom club in final game

Tranmere Rovers 6 (2) v Port Vale 1 (1)

Tuesday 23 April 2013


Tranmere RoversReserves:Jason Mooney, Ben Maher, Paul Black, Jake Phillips, Michael Kay, Danny Harrison, Joe Thompson, Jake Kirby, Cole Stockton (Liam Davies 70), Matej Galis (Joe Conchie 67), David Amoo

Subs not used:Sam Ramsbottom, Leo Riley, Conor Shakleton.


Ryan Boot, Joe Evans,Port Vale Reserves:, Ryan Lloyd.Tom Morris Juan Cruz Gotta, Joe Davis (Elliott Osbourne 24), Ryan Schofield, Gary O’Neil (Nathan Smith 70), Will Whieldon, Jordan Hugill, Luke Beesley (Macauley Davies 72)


Vale’s final reserve game of the season was a West Division fixture as they visited bottom of the table Tranmere at Prenton Park, with a win meaning they would finish as Champions; it was not to be as they crashed 1-5. Vale yet again had trialists in Gotta, a tall Argentinian centre back who scored for Gosport Borough recently, and Schofield and O’Neil from Wolves.


just outside the area, he took the ball down and hit a speculative left foot effort that looked to be well covered but it squirmed from Mooney’s grasp and into the net.LloydVale got off to the start they wanted by taking the lead in the second minute when a Vale attack saw the ball come back to

   When this attack broke down Boot rolled the ball to Morris who strode forward and played a ball to Hugill that saw him 1 on 1 with the ‘keeper but his shot was saved.  Tranmere had a chance 5 minutes later to draw level, but no-one was at hand to take advantage of a loose ball.


Tranmere created another chance and Boot saved bravely at the forwards feet but it was adjudged offside anyway, as Tranmere were having most of the game and keeping Boot busy but he was dealing comfortably with shots that were coming in at him.

Joe Davis was injured mid way through the half and was immediately replaced by Osbourne. Tranmere then won a corner that was taken short. The ball was then swung to the far post where a defender headed downwards and Boot seemed to have it covered; Morris tried to kick the ball clear but only succeeded in slicing it into the roof of the net to bring the teams level after 25 minutes.


It took until 4 minutes before the end of the half for Vale to mount another serious attack and this saw Beesley put in a searching cross to the far post but it bounced just before him and he handled in trying to control it. Tranmere went straight to the other end and a similar right wing cross found Kay unmarked to head home from close range to give Rovers the lead. As the 45 minutes mark was reached Beesley cut in from the left but his shot was safely held to keep Tranmere’s lead intact.


minute as a left wing cross bobbled through the 6 yard area and found Thompson unmarked and he had the easy task to tap into an empty net.thVale looked quite bright in the first few minutes of the second period but then fell further behind in the 49

Vale fell even further behind after 56 minutes when they failed to clear the ball after Boot had received the ball from a pass back after an injury break, eventually the ball came to Morris who tried to play it back to Boot again but only found Stockton and he put it away inside the far post for Tranmere’s fourth.


eventually arrived on 65 minutes when a left wing cross found Galis unmarked in the 6 yard box to head powerfully past Boot. Vale’s next opportunity came with 15 minutes left as Lloyd worked a shooting chance but his well struck drive was too close to Mooney and was safely as a long range shot clipped the foot of the post before going out of play. The 5thVale forced a corner but Lloyd over hit his cross and Tranmere then almost got a 5

   The rout was completed with 1 minute to go as Kirby drove home from 15 yards. We now have to wait to see if Tranmere can stop Walsall in the final game to see if Vale finish top.

Advertisement block