Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


27 October 2012

NORTHAMPTON TOWN:Ishmel Demontagnac, Clive Platt, Henoc Mukendi, Louis Moult, Claudio Dias, David Moyo.  Shane Higgs, SUBS:Lee Nicholls, Joe Widdowson, Kelvin Langmead, Anthony Charles, Adebayo Akinfenwa, Ben Tozer, Alex Nicholls, Lewis Wilson, Lewis Hornby, Danny East, Emyr Huws.


PORT VALE: Darren Murphy, Louis Dodds, Sam Johnson, Chris Shuker, Joe Davis, Kingsley James, Ryan Lloyd.SUBS:Chris Neal, Adam Yates, Rob Taylor, John McCombe, Gareth Owen, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Ashley Vincent, Tom Pope, Sam Morsy, Ben Williamson, Ryan Burge.


Attendance:5061 including 994 Port Vale fans


It was an unhappy afternoon for Port Vale at Sixfields, as they lost 2-0 toNorthamptonTown.


As well as conceding two goals in a disappointing first half, the Valiants also saw John McCombe sent off and Gareth Owen limp off injured in the opening period.


MickyAdamsmade four changes to the side which drew 1-1 with Burton Albion on Tuesday night.


Adam Yates and Owen came in for the injured Richard Duffy and the suspended Clayton McDonald, while the in-form Ben Williamson replaced Louis Dodds up front and Ryan Burge replaced Chris Shuker.


Sam Morsy created the first chance for Vale when he fired over on 13 minutes, before disaster struck for Vale at the other end of the pitch with 20 minutes gone, whenAdams’ men conceded in the sloppiest of circumstances.


Alex Nicholls intercepted a backpass from Rob Taylor to Chris Neal, before theNorthamptonplayer rounded the keeper to make it 1-0 to the home side. Things went from bad to worse for the visitors when McCombe was sent off moments later for a lunge on Nicholls, who remained on the floor receiving treatment for a lengthy period of time. In fact, Nicholls was only taken from the pitch by an ambulance, which reversed onto the pitch. Early reports suggest he has a broken leg.


The sending-off forcedAdams But it went from bad to worse on 42 minutes – former Stoke striker Louis Moult, on for the injured Nicholls, slotting home past Neal to put the home side 2-0 up. The goal came just moments after to make a substitution, with the unlucky Williamson replaced by defender Joe Davis.Northamptonhad a header disallowed, with the home side buoyant against a Vale side on the back foot.


It wasn’t going for Vale and in first-half stoppage time, the visitors looked like they should have had a penalty when Ashley Vincent was clearly toppled – but nothing was given.


James replaced the injured Owen at half-time, meaning that the midfielder partnered Davies at centre-back.


Vincent saw his shot smothered at the near post with 65 gone, while Vale made their final substitution of the game when Ryan Lloyd replaced Morsy with 21 minutes to go.


Both sides made little during the final stages, withNorthamptonhappy to sit on their win and Vale clearly frustrated at a disappointing afternoon.


Attendance 5061 including 994 Port Vale fans

Advertisement block