Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Wycombe Wanderers 2-2 Port Vale

1 November 2022

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Wycombe Wanderers 2-2 Port Vale

1 November 2022

Tom Conlon netted a 76th minute equaliser as Vale had to come from behind twice to earn a fought point against Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park on Tuesday Night.

Both James Wilson and Conlon netted equalisers for the Valiants after long-distance efforts from Anis Mehmeti and Lewis Wing had put the Chairboys in command twice.

Mehmeti gave the hosts the lead four minutes into the match when he fired past Jack Stevens from 25 yards out with a powerful strike.

Vale hit back in the final moments of first-half stoppage time through Wilson, who smashed home from close range after Connor Hall’s acrobatic effort was saved into his path following a corner.

The hosts regained the lead against the run of play through another brilliant strike from the edge of the box, but this time it was Wing who provided the effort, a well-struck half-volley.

Our captain grabbed the Valiants' second equaliser of the match, sending the away fans crazy, when he netted a free header from Mal Benning’s corner, his first goal of the season.

Darrell Clarke made six changes from the side that downed Lincoln City at the weekend, with Nathan Smith, and goalscorer Conlon, two of the players returning to the starting 11.

Ellis Harrison nearly gave us the lead with the first chance of the match after Gavin Massey flicked a header through to our striker, but after rounding Max Stryjek, he fired over from a tight angle.

The first proper chance after the opening goal fell to Wycombe’s David Wheeler, who created room for himself on the edge of the box before narrowly firing wide of the right-hand post.

Harrison came close once again for the Valiants with 28 minutes on the clock, heading wide with a low header after brilliant work from Sammy Robinson on the right-hand side to deliver the cross.

Only moments later, Massey narrowly missed the target with a powerful low drive across goal, as Vale pressed for an equaliser.

In stoppage time of the first half, Harrison came close once again, but Stryjek managed to beat away his effort after he had muscled free from his marker to get a strong shot off.

Harrison was at the centre of many Vale opportunities throughout the game, and he was set up after a brilliant run from Lewis Cass in the 53rd minute, however, his shot from the edge of the box flashed wide.

After Conlon’s equaliser, substitute and the hero of Saturday, Danny Butterworth, came extremely close to giving Vale the lead with 10 minutes to go after he was sent through by our captain, but his shot dribbled narrowly wide.

Butterworth once again nearly gave the Valiants the lead just minutes later, forcing Stryjek into a spill when he fired a powerful shot on goal from just inside the box, and unfortunately, there were no white shirts to fire home the rebound.

Vale then defended strongly to secure a well-deserved point, and now they turn their attention to the FA Cup, as Exeter City travel to Vale Park for our first round fixture.

Wycombe Wanderers | Stryjek, Forino (46’ Grimmer), Wheeler, Vokes (82’ McCleary), Wing (90’ Bughail-Mellor), Mehmeti, Hanlan, Mawson, Freeman, Obita, McCarthy

Unused Subs | Blunkell, Jacobsen, Kaikai, Horgan

Port Vale | Stevens, Cass, Hall, Smith, Wilson (74’ Odubeko), Conlon, Benning, Massey (90+4 Worrall), Harrison, Pett, Robinson (74’ Butterworth)

Unused Subs | Stone, Charsley, Agyakwa, Politic

Attendance | 4,192 (410 Valiants)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account