Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Fixture Flashback: Leyton Orient (H)

1 October 2021


Fixture Flashback: Leyton Orient (H)

1 October 2021

On the back of three wins in a row we face second place Leyton Orient this Saturday. Before the game let’s have a look at some previous home results against Orient.

Past Five encounters with Leyton Orient: LDWLD

Our last visit from Leyton Orient:

Sky Bet League Two, Vale Park, Saturday 28th November 2020: Port Vale 2-3 Leyton Orient

Despite a dominant display, goals from Leon Legge and Cristian Montano were not enough to stop the Vale from falling to defeat against Leyton Orient at Vale Park.

The Vale started the game brightly, and the Valiants almost took a fourth minute lead, when David Worrall’s lay-off inside the box, set Tom Conlon up for a left-footed strike, which clipped the top of the bar and went over.

It didn’t take long for the Valiants’ positive start to pay off, when Worrall’s resulting corner was met by the head of returning skipper Leon Legge, whose powerful downward header was adjudged to have crossed the line by the linesman, to give Vale a 7th minute lead.

But Vale’s lead only lasted for three minutes as Orient top-scorer Danny Johnson, was on hand to head home the equaliser from inside the box, latching onto the end of Louis Dennis’ floated ball into the area.

As the game past the 20-minute mark, David Amoo pulled off a classy flick around his man on the wing but as he began to pull away went down, and had to receive treatment before being forced off the pitch with Cristian Montano replacing him.

In the 31st minute the visitors took the lead in chaotic style as Dennis’ shot found Danny Johnson one-on-one before Nathan Smith got back to make an excellent sliding challenge, but Smith’s attempted clearance deflected off the front of David Fitzpatrick before looping over Brown’s head where Legge slid in to clear off the line but the ball then fell to the arriving Wilkinson who hammered it into the net from eight-yards out.

Vale almost responded in instant fashion, fizzing a ball across the face of goal, just out of the reach of Rodney at the back stick, with him having to receive brief treatment following his lunge. 

Vale nearly drew level with just three minutes left of the half when Montano went on a mazy run, beating four players to find a bit of space in the area but couldn’t hit the target from a difficult angle.

Vale had corner after corner in the first 10 minutes of the second-half but couldn’t make them count and Orient broke away after a misplaced header by Legge, however, Nathan Smith got back to deny a shot from inside the area.

Controversy arose minutes later as Worrall looked to curl a cross into the box but it was blocked by a Orient defender’s outstretched arm right in front of the linesman but he failed to spot what would have been a Port Vale penalty.

The constant pressure finally paid off with 75 minutes played as Montano picked up the ball just inside the opposition half, cut inside and from over 25-yards out curled an absolutely stunning shot into the top-right-hand corner of the net to give Vale a deserved equaliser.

Conlon then came very close to giving the Vale the lead straight after as his first-time shot from outside the box seemed destined for the bottom corner before colliding with Mark Cullen and Rodney had a half-volley from around the penalty spot blocked wide minutes later.

Against the run of play, confusion at the back saw Orient once again take the lead, as Vale failed to clear a corner, the ball ended up being lofted back towards the back post where Brophy was there to fire home from close range.

Port Vale: Brown, Clark, Legge, Smith, Fitzpatrick (75’ Pope), Joyce (70’ Cullen), Oyeleke, Conlon, Amoo (24’ Montano), Worrall, Rodney.

Unused Subs: Visser, Brisley, Burgess, Mills.

Leyton Orient: Vigouroux, Ling, Widdowson, Coulson, Happe, Cisse (83’ Wright), Wilkinson (62’ Sotiriou), McAnuff, Dennis (66’ Kyprianou), Brophy, Johnson.

Unused Subs: Sargeant, Akinola, Dayton, Maguire-Drew.


Sky Bet League One, Vale Park, Saturday 25th October 2014: Port Vale 3-0 Leyton Orient

Port Vale claimed a comfortable 3-0 victory over Leyton Orient after the visitors had Darius Henderson sent off in the first-half.

Effort outweighed quality in the opening stages before Vale twice went close to taking a 29th-minute lead.

Gary Woods saved a 30-yard drive from Ryan McGivern and the Orient goalkeeper then deflected Chris Lines' shot against a post.

But the O's were really up against it a minute later when Henderson was shown a straight red card for elbowing Vale defender Richard Duffy.

The visitors survived increasing pressure as half-time approached and Vale striker Jordan Slew had a header ruled out for offside seconds before the interval.

Orient's 10-men continued to hold firm in the opening stages of the second half, before Rob Page's team took control with two goals in the space of three minutes.

Right-back Adam Yates broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute, firing a right-foot shot into the top right-hand corner of the net from 15 yards after he was set up by Mark Marshall.

Ben Williamson drove an angled right-foot drive from 12 yards three minutes later into almost the same spot after he spun onto a pass from Michael O'Connor.

Nathan Clarke deflected a free-kick from O'Connor into his own net in the 81st minute to complete Orient's misery.

Port Vale – Neal, Yates, Dickinson (Streete 46), McGivern, Duffy, Birchall, Lines, O’Connor, Marshall (Dodds 86), Williamson, Slew (N’Guessan 46)

Subs not used – Johnson, Daniel, Brown, Veseli

Leyton Orient – Woods, Omozusi, Cuthbert, Baudry, Lowry, McAnuff (Pritchard 65), Clarke, Bartley, Dagnall (Batt 76), Henderson, Simpson (Cox 64)

Subs not used – Lee, Kashket, Grainger, Ling

Att: 4,773

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account