Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Oldham Athletic 3-2 Port Vale

20 November 2021

Match Reports

Match Report | Oldham Athletic 3-2 Port Vale

20 November 2021

The Valiants' seven game unbeaten run comes to an end at Boundary Park

On the back of a 1-1 draw last weekend at home to Bradford City, we travelled to Oldham seven games unbeaten. The first chance of the game came on 12 minutes from Devante Rodney who received the ball 30-yards from goal. He ran into the area and struck the ball towards goal but it went wide of the post.

The Valiants had both Jamie Proctor and James Wilson out injured, our two top scorers, so needed others to step up. Captain Tom Conlon had our first effort on target with a lovely corner routine. The corner was played straight to Conlon 25-yards out who hit it first time which stung the palms of Jayson Leutwiler but the ball was eventually cleared away.

But we had scored 18 in our last five so despite the injuries the Valiants were productive in front of goal. On 26 minutes David Worrall gave us the lead from close range. James Gibbons’ low cross into the box was touched by Rodney into the path of Worrall who smashed the ball home.

The hosts answered back well through Zak Dearnley, who wound up with the ball after a deflection. His shot towards the far post inside the area was saved well be Lucas Covolan who claimed the ball at the second attempt.

Oldham got their equaliser two minutes after the half-hour mark through Davis Keillor-Dunn. Their corner was cleared but the ball was put back into the area with Oldham’s Carl Piergianni free to head the ball across goal to Keillor-Dunn who was left unmarked in the six-yard box to head in the equaliser.

It was the Valiants who had the first chance of the second-half on 47 minutes. After some great build-up play the ball bobbled round in the area and fell to Gibbons whose shot went way over the bar from close range.

Four minutes later Gibbons had another chance but made this one count. Brilliant work from David Amoo who outfought his man to win the ball back on the right wing. He then ran into the area and played a ball across goal for Gibbons who thundered the ball into the roof of the net.

On 56 minutes Gibbons was at it again and almost scored his second. He took on two men in the area and tried to curl the ball into the far corner but Leutwiler produced a fine save. On the hour mark Oldham had their first chance of the second-half as Sam Hart had an effort from 35-yards which went way over the bar.

With 15 minutes left the Valiants had a chance to increase the lead with Conlon whose half volley 19-yards out crashed against the left-hand post. The missed chances became costly as on 81 minutes Hart got Oldham level. Another long ball was not dealt with and when the ball fell to Hart he had the easiest task to put the ball in.

And in the final minutes Oldham got the winner. We failed to deal with yet another set piece, the second ball landed at Sam Hart’s feet whose shot was deflected in by Aaron Martin as our unbeaten run came to an end.

Oldham Athletic: Leutwiler, Clarke (59’ Couto), Hart, Cisse (55’ Hope), McGahey, Peirgianni, Adams (59’ Fage), Whelan, Keillor-Dunn, Dearnley, Hopcutt

Subs not used: Southerington, Stobbs, Bettache, Simms

Port Vale: Covolan, Gibbons, Jones, Worrall (78’ Legge), Garrity (78’ Taylor), Conlon, Martin, Amoo (85’ Politic), Rodney, Pett, Cass

Subs not used: Stone, Walker, Johnson, Lloyd

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account