Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Leyton Orient

18 January 2020

Match Reports

Match Report: Leyton Orient

18 January 2020

David Amoo's stunning second-half strike was enough to earn the Vale all three points in a 1-0 win over Leyton Orient.

With less than a minute gone on the clock here at Vale Park, the Valiants came agonisingly close to making the perfect start. David Amoo latched onto a ball down the right and took a touch before pulling it back to Will Atkinson inside the box, and the midfielder took a great first touch to beat his man but couldn’t find a way past Sam Sargeant in the Orient net who made himself big to produce a fine save from close range; a let off for the away side.

It was a rapid start from Askey’s men who looked desperate to make amends for Tuesday’s defeat, and this time it was David Worrall who came close. Mark Cullen did well to dig out a cross from the right to the back post and Worrall rose highest to meet to ball, but his headed effort narrowly flew wide of the post.

The Valiants continued their dominant start to this one and Sargeant was made to work again as Nathan Smith came close to adding another goal too his already-impressive tally this season. The ball fell to Mark Cullen who tried his luck, but his effort was deflected into the path of Smith whose header was well saved by the O’s keeper.

Moments later it was Scott Brown who was called into action against the run of play. A drilled ball came in from the right and took a deflection before falling perfectly to Josh Wright who took a touch before unleashing his effort forcing Brown to save well with his feet to keep the scores level.

As we approached the 20th minute, Brown produced a fine save to keep out Lee Angol from six yards out before the linesman raised his flag for offside which would have ruled it out anyway. A wicked ball came in from the left and was put on a plate for Angol, but he was denied from point-blank range by Brown before the offside call was given.

Askey’s men continued to enjoy themselves in this one and came close once again with Legge nearly scoring for the second time against Orient this season. Cristian Montano was given plenty of time on the left and delivered a ball to the back post where the Vale centre-half met the ball, but his effort was kept out by Sargeant.

The match began to slow down in the latter stages of the first-half, but the Valiants continued to enjoy the majority of possession yet couldn’t manage to create and real chances to trouble the away side.

It was an impressive display from the Vale in the first-half and Askey’s side may have felt unlucky not have been in front heading into the break.

Five minutes into the second-half the Vale had James Gibbons to thank who made an excellent goal line clearance to deny Orient. A cross from the left made it all the way to George Marsh who was sat on the edge of the box, and he curled a left-footed shot towards to far corner, beating Brown, but Gibbons read it excellently and got in position to head it over for a corner; a heroic effort from the Vale right-back.

Chances came at a premium for both sides in this second-half much to the contrast of the opening exchanges in the first-half, yet play came to a halt on the hour mark after Montano received a high boot from James Brophy who was awarded a yellow card for his challenge.

Five minutes later Askey would have been wondering how his side didn’t take the as Cullen squandered a fine chance. Luke Joyce played a searching ball through to Worrall who weaved his way into the box, and the ball ricocheted into the path of Cullen whose first-time effort was saved by Sargeant from close-range.

With 20 minutes left at Vale Park, the Valiants finally found the breakthrough through Amoo with a stunning strike. Legge found himself in the box after the Vale earned a corner and he did well to tee up Amoo who rifled his effort into the far corner past a helpless Sargeant; a well-deserved lead to say the least.

Leyton Orient proceeded to gain more of a foothold throughout the next 10 minutes, but the Vale backline remained firm to keep Ross Embleton’s men at bay.

The away side continued to pile on the pressure and Brown did well to stay alert and tip over a looping cross from the left-hand side.

Minutes later it was Brown at the rescue again. Conor Wilkinson fired a left-footed shot from long-range but Brown did well to tip over.

The Vale were able to withstand the late pressure from the O's and see out another three points at Vale Park. 


Port Vale: Brown, Gibbons, Joyce, Legge, Worrall, Montano 84' Evans), Atkinson (81' Conlon), Cullen (81' Pope), Smith, Amoo, Burgess

Unused Subs: Maddison, Browne, Bennett, Brisley

Leyton Orient: Sargeant, Coulson, Wilkinson, Maguire-Drew, Judd (68' Clay), Happe, Brophy, Angol (78' Harold), Marsh, Kyprianou (68' Cisse), Wright

Unused Subs: Vigouroux, Ekpiteta, Dayton, Sotiriou


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account