Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Port Vale 1-1 Colchester United

12 December 2020

Match Reports

Match Report: Port Vale 1-1 Colchester United

12 December 2020

Devante Rodney’s goal was not enough to secure three points for Port Vale, as we earnt a point over promotion chasing Colchester United following a 1-1 draw at Vale Park.

Rodney’s 25-yard effort had given Vale a 57th minute lead before Luke Norris levelled for the visitors just six minutes later.

Alex Hurst had the chance to give Vale the lead eight minutes into his first league start, when Devante Rodney’s pass out wide to David Worrall gave the winger on opportunity to put the ball in the box, and Hurst met his low ball in, but was unable to guide his effort round the defender and into the back of the net.

And it was Vale who were making the best of the early stages of the game, when three minutes later, Alex Hurst’s stunning delivery to the back post was inches wide from being met by Worrall, who surely would have scored had he made contact with the ball.

Dean Gerken had to be on hand to prevent the Valiants from taking a 14th minute lead, when Tom Conlon’s dipping free-kick from the edge of the box looked to be heading towards the back of the net, but the U’s keeper got down well to parry the ball wide.

Vale were well on top in the first twenty minutes and Manny Oyeleke was unlucky to have his rifled effort from the edge of the box cleared off the line by a Colchester defender, after the hosts had caused the U’s problems from a set-piece.

Scott Brown was called into his first real action of the game in the 19th minute, when Callum Harriot cut onto his left foot on the edge of the box, and curled an effort that appeared to be heading for the top corner, until Brown was able to pluck the ball out of the sky before gathering the ball.

Despite a lull in play, it was still the Valiants who looked most likely to break the deadlock, and Worrall was unlucky not to put us ahead in the 36th minute, when he met Rodney’s ball to the back post but his header just flew left of the post.

Without any genuine chances in the remainder of the half, the score remained goalless at the break, with Vale perhaps feeling a little unlucky to not be ahead.

Vale dominated the start of the second period and were rewarded in the 57th minute when the ball fell to Devante Rodney 25-yards from goal, who rifled the ball into the bottom corner, scoring a stunning goal and giving Vale a deserved lead in the process.

But Vale’s lead didn’t last long and six minutes later Luke Norris met Ben Stevenson’s ball in the box and placed the ball past Brown in the box to draw the visitor’s level.

With Vale pushing for a winner, Luke Joyce tried his luck from the edge of the box in the 76thminute, but his effort flew high and wide of Gerken’s goal, before John Askey substituted the midfielder off for striker Tom Pope, with Vale going in search of a goal to give them the three points.

With eight minutes of normal time remaining, Tom Conlon swung a wide free-kick into the box with Leon Legge rising highest, but he couldn’t quite direct his header on target and Colchester survived another Vale attack.

Scott Brown was on hand to make two big saves in stoppage time, denying two efforts from close range before Vale cleared.

And that proved to be the last meaningful action of the game, with Vale only able to earn a point despite a dominant performance over the U’s.

The Valiants will look to get back to winning ways on Tuesday evening, when we welcome Forest Green Rovers to Vale Park.

Port Vale: Brown, Mills, Smith, Legge, Fitzpatrick, Joyce (Pope 76’), Oyeleke, Conlon, Worrall (McKirdy 73’), Hurst, Rodney.

Unused subs: Visser, Brisley, Clark, Burgess, Robinson.

Colchester United: Gerken, Welch-Hayes, Bramall, Eastman, Smith, Stevenson, Poku (Folivi 62’), Chilvers (Gambin 63’), Brown (Senior 62’), Harriott (Sowunmi 90’), Norris.

Unused subs: George, Clampin, Sowunmi, Tchamadeu.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account