Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Port Vale vs Forest Green Rovers

20 August 2019

Match Reports

Match Report: Port Vale vs Forest Green Rovers

20 August 2019

The Valiants picked up an impressive 2-1 win to gain their first victory of the new season and continue their unbeaten run in an exciting and dominating display against Forest Green Rovers at Vale Park.

The Vale took an early lead, with Richie Bennett rewarding John Askey’s faith by scoring his second goal in as many games after just four minutes.

James Gibbons picked up the ball on the half-way line and drove into space down the wing where he curled a dangerous ball into the box which was met by a Richie Bennett diving header to put Vale in front.

The lead did not last long however, as Forest Green responded one minute later, when Joeseph Mills pounced on James Gibbons, stealing the ball before dribbling into the box and slotted it into the back of the net.

David Amoo nearly put the Valiants back in the lead straight from kick off but was denied by Joeseph Wollacott, with the visitors nearly going in front after 14 minutes when James Morton forced a good save from Brown.

With 30 minutes played, Vale sat firmly on the front foot, with Bennett, Amoo and Worrall all causing problems for the Green Army, but were unable to find that final ball to regain the lead.

Mark Cooper’s side could not hold out for much longer however, as David Amoo bagged his second goal for the Vale after some lovely skill from Cristian Montano to give the Valiants a well-deserved lead in the 34th minute.

Montano showcased some wonderful footwork down the left-wing and delivered a dangerous ball into the box which found Amoo at the back post, where he controlled it before drilling the ball into the roof of the net.

Vale maintained their pressure and nearly doubled their lead thanks to Tom Conlon whose shot just went wide of the post after a mazy run by Amoo just one minute after the goal.

Bennett also came close just minutes later, beating his man on the edge of the box and his effort was just tipped wide by Wollacott.

As the half drew to a close Gibbons came so close to doubling the lead, driving into the box and firing a powerful effort towards goal but was denied by the woodwork, the ball hitting the bar and going out for goal-kick.

Bennett nearly doubled his tally for the night 10 minutes into the second-half when he picked up the ball 25-yards out and fired just over the bar.

Forest Green nearly drew level in the 70th minute when James Morton curled a good effort towards goal but it was matched by an even better save by Brown.

Vale burst back into the game after the save, first with Bennett’s half-volley from 20-yards going just the post.

One minute later Amoo would have been disappointed not to grab his second of the night after Bennett played the ball to him unmarked inside the box but he was unable to keep his effort down, firing over the bar.

With 75 minutes played Montano was challenged inside the box, winning a corner for his side, but was forced to be replaced by Ryan Lloyd due to an injury.

Vale nearly repaid his sacrifice as Nathan Smith had a header brilliantly saved by Wollacott from the resulting corner by Worrall, before the rebound was sent over the bar.

Two minutes into added-time Worrall nearly wrapped up all three points after being played through by Tom Pope, but he was denied by a superb save by Wollacott.

The miss did not matter though as the Vale were able to hold onto their lead and come away with all three points and their first win of the ‘New Era’.  

Port Vale: Brown, Gibbons, Smith, Legge, Crookes, Conlon, Joyce, Worrall, Amoo, Montano (77' Ryan Lloyd), Bennett (86' Pope).

Unused Subs: Maddison, Evans, Burgess, Kennedy, Cullen

Forest Green Rovers: Wollacott, Bernard, Mills, Winchester, Collins (80' Stevens), Adams, Morton, McGinley, Godwin-Malfie, Mills, Mondal (73' Grubb)

Unused Subs: Thomas, Rawson, Allen, Dawson, Kitching

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account